ranch style beans

northern smokey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
for some reason these beans keep popping up on threads and recipes i have been looking at. i googled them and it seems these are very much loved and enjoyed. i have been wanting to try them but i live in the far north of canada and shipping them would be a bit much. i have found a bloggers site for a recipe that i will be trying. so i am asking if the brethren can look at the recipe amd tell me if this is what i am looking for or if there is anything i need to add that is not in there.
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.ca/2010/03/ranch-style-beans-recipe.html
thank you

That gal hails from my area and her stuff is spot on my recipe is similar and has 1 tsp granulated garlic.

This doesn't really answer your questions, but I got her book last year, and have really enjoyed the recipes I've tried. Lots of good stuff in there!

for some reason these beans keep popping up on threads and recipes i have been looking at. i googled them and it seems these are very much loved and enjoyed. i have been wanting to try them but i live in the far north of canada and shipping them would be a bit much. i have found a bloggers site for a recipe that i will be trying. so i am asking if the brethren can look at the recipe amd tell me if this is what i am looking for or if there is anything i need to add that is not in there.
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.ca/2010/03/ranch-style-beans-recipe.html
thank you

To add to my above post... I happened to have some pintos I'd soaked over night, already in the crock pot to go with the brisket I'm working on today. I did just have some bacon in there, chicken broth, and some Fiesta Pinto Seasoning in the pot.

Now, I went and tweaked them a bit riffing off Fain's recipe. Jazzed em up with 3 anchos, 1 chipotle, and 5 cloves of garlic. Toasted the anchos and chipotle quickly in my iron skillet, let them soak a bit in some water in the skillet. Then made a puree of the peppers and garlic, and threw it in the pot with some Mexican oregano and a shot of apple cider vinegar. I figure the Fiesta Seasoning covers the other spices,or at least comes close according to the label. Dang, that was just what they needed!

Beans still have a way to go, but wow that smells good. How long till dinner?

I'll let you know how close to Ranch Style I come.

1F83CDCF-9994-4C29-A44C-96FED8030A15-2555-00000360834FE55E.jpg

I know Lisa Fain as well and even have her book; it is a righteous read in my opinion. I tried the recipe for ranch style beans and thought they turned out real good, pretty darn close to the originals "out of the can".
Give em a try and enjoy. (basic ranch style beans are just good pintos swimming in a chili sauce.....)

To add to my above post... I happened to have some pintos I'd soaked over night, already in the crock pot to go with the brisket I'm working on today. I did just have some bacon in there, chicken broth, and some Fiesta Pinto Seasoning in the pot.

Now, I went and tweaked them a bit riffing off Fain's recipe. Jazzed em up with 3 anchos, 1 chipotle, and 5 cloves of garlic. Toasted the anchos and chipotle quickly in my iron skillet, let them soak a bit in some water in the skillet. Then made a puree of the peppers and garlic, and threw it in the pot with some Mexican oregano and a shot of apple cider vinegar. I figure the Fiesta Seasoning covers the other spices,or at least comes close according to the label. Dang, that was just what they needed!

Beans still have a way to go, but wow that smells good. How long till dinner?

I'll let you know how close to Ranch Style I come.

1F83CDCF-9994-4C29-A44C-96FED8030A15-2555-00000360834FE55E.jpg
That pic made me smile and hungry I have some fresh tortillas and some ice cold Shinners:biggrin1:

My zip code is beyond the 100 mile limit from a HEB (probably more like 2,000) so I guess it helps to have family in Texas.
Ditto on the tortillas and Shiner!

Attachments

• trim 1.jpg
    trim 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 333
I never thought about not being able to go the the store and buy Ranch Style Beans!!! The horror!

And Texans don't like chili with beans in it? Pahleeze! Add some ground beef to those beans and you got chili with beans.

I love beans in my chili. Bred in Texas, born in Texas. Mother was born in New Mexico though. Raised in Mexico for most of her life.

Beans with meat is "Beans with Meat". Chili is meat only. Or really if you want to get technical, before the TX version, Chili was made with only Chili Peppers.

I loves me some ranch style beans. And I have added meat to them. If that's a sin it felt sooo right

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

And Texans don't like chili with beans in it? Pahleeze! Add some ground beef to those beans and you got chili with beans.

the funny thing is that some Texans use Ranch Style Beans as a way to cheat in chili cookoffs. What they will do is run a can or two through a food processor and add it to the chili. I have tried it and it is good. It helps tighten up the chili a bit.

My mom made a great side dish for years, when we were having hot dogs or hamburgers for dinner. She would sautee down some onions and bell peppers then add two cans of ranch beans. Once the beans were tender, she would add fritos, stir and serve. It was excellent. I still make it from time to time.

Quick follow up to my beans above. They were really good, tasted ALOT like Ranch Style only more fresh. I'll definitely be making those again!

I'm looking FW to trying this recipe, although I will probably add some bacon or chorizo. Also, The Homesick Texan is one awesome blog!

Back