New Concept, the 3 Temperature BBQ Cook

El Ropo

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
OK, so here's my thoughts, people claim cooking hot and fast gives a very small window of "done", so it's easy to overshoot.

They also claim that lower cooking temps gives a better smoke flavor and ring.

How about starting a cook at 250 for first hour, in attempt to get smoke flavor and ring into the meat. Then crank up heat to 320-325 to power though the rendering period. Then when meat hits the 185-190 area, drop the cooker down to 200-225?

The window of opportunity will be wider, and it may help melt out any remaining fat before drying out the meat?

Never tried this, but it may be something to think about.

This just popped into my head after much experience and reading (Evan Williams is partly to blame).

Am I insane?

Results will surely be better than sous vide in a farking convection oven.

I have heard some comp teams cook brisket at 200 for an hour or two just to set a deep smoke ring. Also, if you wait until 180-190 to turn temps down, the meat will be done long before you get the temps down.

Isn't that the way it's usually done? Start out low 'n slow... Hit the stall and realize that the guests will be here in 2 hrs. so you crank it up... Guests call... will be 2 hrs. late... OMG it will be DRY... Cool things down so you don't overcook... pull, wrap in foil... wait, pray... Praises from everyone... You're a hero... but why are there beer bottles everywhere?

Isn't that the way it's usually done? Start out low 'n slow... Hit the stall and realize that the guests will be here in 2 hrs. so you crank it up... Guests call... will be 2 hrs. late... OMG it will be DRY... Cool things down so you don't overcook... pull, wrap in foil... wait, pray... Praises from everyone... You're a hero... but why are there beer bottles everywhere?

LOL... How true.

Not a new concept. I remember someone proposing something similar, because it simulates a real fire better and that is how bbq was invented and the old timers do it.. The fire starts slow, as more fuel is engaged it burns hot and then as the coals die out the fire cools.

I start out a at 220-230 for 2 hrs then I sink spur and apply quirt liberally to run past 270 for the finish.

I think it would work. Brings a whole new way to tweak the cook. It's far from the T-Rex method for steaks in which after searing at very high heat, the grill is shutdown and the steaks are pulled off to rest. After 20 minutes - or so - the steaks are put back on the shutdown grill and brought to the desired internal temp with the residual heat. It's a great method that produces amazing steaks for me.

I think a similar approach could be useful for smoking as well. Like you said: low and slow at the beginning for the smoke ring, hot to power through the long hours, an finish slow. I know that the DigiQ power drafts have a ramp mode that brings the pit temp down to meat temp at the end. That's not far from the same concept too.

We new some experiments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my normal method on my UDS

1. start UDS and get it to 225F, put meat on after 30 minutes at 225F
2. Temperature immediately drops to 200F, I fight for 2 hours to get it to 225F, it get there and then overshoots dramatically.
3. Fight to get temperature back to 275F, sometimes it does, sometimes not, in any event, after 4 hours of this stupidity, the stall is over, the fire is dying
4. I kick the drum, temperature settles around 250F and runs slowly downhill until after an hour or two, the meat is in a UDS running at 185F, rest is already started, meat is tender and there is almost no coal, except for the 2 pounds that never lit because my charcoal basket is too shallow.
5. Serve meat after long rest as the 2,5 hours at 375F caused me to be way ahead of schedule.

YMMV

The funniest thing I've read here since Farking Fwoosh ...

Thanks for that!

This is what pit T does pretty much if I am not mistaken. Smoke low for smokiness , ramp up to his 270 , I believe, when his ribs begin sweating, shut down cooker an wait to probe tender or bend test. At least ribs this way I think.

My apologies Pit T if I am misrepresenting your rib cook.

I usually do a ramp up cook in my WSM or UDS. I start with a very small minion method fire. By very small, I mean probably not more than 5 or so burning coals. As soon as I get this going I put the meat on and open the air intakes all the way. It takes a while but it does come up to temp. The meat takes on a good bit of smoke flavor during this initial stage. The temp continues to rise, and I literally let it go as high as it wants to. Never had a bad result.

Back