Chicken/Poultry Rub

Kidd_Deuce

Reaction score
Can anyone help with a good rub to smoke a whole chicken? I'm going to try chicken for the first time on a WSM - any tips and/or suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Yardbird if you can get it. If not the lawrys poultry seasoning is pretty good.

Salt, Pepper, Ground Coriander - lightly dust and you're good to go.

If you don't have time to get some Simply Marvelous, here's a rub I've used for years.

Chicken Rub

2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake to combine. Apply liberally to chicken, rub into pieces and tightly wrap chicken in plastic wrap. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Smoke according to your favorite recipe and enjoy!

Smoked some leg quarters at the family reunion this summer on a big offset with sassafrass at around 300 or so. I don't know what made it so special, but Paul Kirk's rub is what we used and that bird turned out so good that I didn't see anyone reach for the sauce! I don't smoke chicken that often, but I'm definately gonna mix some of PK's up again. The recipe is probably online as it's in books other than his own.

edit: I forgot that we marinaded the quarters in Wishbone Italian dressing overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Kidd Deuce - I brine a chicken for a few hours (1 gallon of water, 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar) before putting it on the smoker. The latest rub that I have used is Grill Mates Cinnamon Chipotle that I "doctored" a little :idea: with some additional seasonings from the cabinet (I am a BIG fan of garlic) and a touch more salt and black pepper).
Smoked it until we got to 160 and let it set for a bit before carving into it. Pretty yummy stuff.

Yardbird is awsome. That is all we use for comps and home use. Excellent product!

Back