Happy Memorial Day Brethren...What's Smokin' This Holiday Weekend?

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Friday Night Steaks with Lobster Tails for my beautiful bride's birthday! :p Other than that just doin' a little yard work and chillin'! Have a great weekend folks...and don't forget the REAL reason for the holiday...to pay tribute to those that gave their lives in the defense of this great nation. So...while you're smokin' those butts, briskets, and ribs...raise a glass in their honor! Salute! :thumb:

Cooking Ćevapčići, Annual airshow with blue angels down at the beach. I stand on my roof and watch it

Friday, Bistro steaks and Rock Lobster Tails! Monday, BB back ribs on the Rib-O-Lator!

just got done with some spares, trying to finalize my rib recipe for this weekends contest(it's a saturday-sunday contest). Have a great weekend.

One brisket, two shoulders. Taking them to a Smokeyday Party where there will be fatties, ribs, chicken, sausage and who knows what else.

There is so much meat, glorious meat, on sale that I will be BBQing some ribs, a brisket, and aging some steaks in my fridge for grilling. I may even do a boston butt if I can find it on sale.

And, I will be using every bit of knowledge I can glean from this awesome forum!

BBQ Brethren, you who are about to BBQ, I salute you!

8 Butts,6 slabs of BB's,30 lbs of chicken quarters,10 lbs of sausage,all the sides and trimmins to go with it.YUMMEE!This is a Friday afternoon-into Saturday cook.:-D

Friday:
Simple grilling job - sear some tuna steaks.
Making Tuna Tataki.
Citris soy marinated, red/black peppered and seared - then rapid chilled.
Served chilled, sashimi style slices with thin sliced jalepeno, onion, and some fresh cilantro.
(Pre-cooking/chilling for lunch on Saturday)

Saturday:
20# or more pork shoulder/Boston butt
6 racks of Baby backs
6 whole chickens
10 hand cut/chopped sirloin/ribeye burgers

All that for the Bragging rights competition in Harvard IL.

Sunday:
Stale Movie theatre popcorn, over cooked "soft" pretzel, with free refills on drinks (The BBQ Widow will not let me play with the big toys three days in a row).

I have a Tri Tip on the char griller now, it did 5 minutes a side over the k-blue, now it is off to the side waiting to hit 140..... I enjoy some '07 Zinfandel from TJ's while it cooks.

I plan on doing my first Briskie on Robot (my UDS) or some spares this weekend... I will hit Sams and RD to see what I find.

Made some more of Katie's 2nd place sliders tonight (sendin' some pics to B-O-B). Alex has been requesting "your ribs daddy." You know I'll have to grant that wish! :becky:
Was at Cash & Carry today...had my eye on some picnics as well. Guess we'll see.

Just defrosted and scarfed some pulled pork.....Mighty Nice.....
Gonna Smoke some Ribs later this weekend....Maybe some Turds and Kielbasas too.....
And Chicken Thighs...MMMMMMM..after YardWork, of course....

Friday I'm driving home. Saturday I'm putting together my new Ranch Kettle and smoking some ribs and probably some ABTs.

On Sunday I'll probably do a couple of butts and a fatty.

I don't get to cook very often and I'm going to take advantage of this weekend.

A buddy borrowed my bandera and brought it back today so I think I will fire it up on smoke some chicken and ribs. Also, fire up on of the drums for a brisket and sure to have a good steak on the Weber thrown in there somewhere. Hope everyone has a great and safe weekend.

I was inspired by a post earlier this week, and decided I need to try my hand at brisket on a stick. I reckon I'll get up early Sunday and get them going so they're done for the start of the race.

No, not that race. The real race. Indy.

Go Helio!

Putting on two butts Sat night for BBQ sandwiches on Sunday, 20 chicken breasts on Sun night for dinner, 10 slabs of babybacks on Monday, all on my new XL Egg.

Sat: 2 butts, 2 t-breats and some spar ribs thinking of doing some country ribs too.

I might just go and find myself a small rib roast, or a really large rib steak and see if I can make a red smoked prime rib. Gonna try oak and pecan.

I am cooking for the masses (unquantified at this point) on Sunday, and hopefully I will have all the parts to marry my 22.5 wsm (R1-D1) to my 98 performer (george jr.) on the performer frame sometime this weekend. (thanks for idea lefthand smoke).

I am also mounting my stoker and wireless bridge to the frame. I'm going to hook the performer kettle up to the stoker as well. I am ordering a 5cfs fan for that. I will have pics when I am done...

Sledneck had me at "Blue Angels" I am pretty tough but my Navy experience causes emotion while watching Blue Angels.

We will go to Redding, CA on Saturday for "Pros VS Joes" Competition. Sunday we will clean up and reasemble for next weekend in Penn Valley, CA at competition there.

Monday comes many services and I will be be playing bagpipes at 2 different ceremonies.

I am dedicating my Memorial Day to my uncle that I never met, L.L. Jennings USS Edsall DD219 sunk on 1 MAR 1942 near Java. I served on USS Ponce LPD 15-USS Trenton LPD 14, and USS Epperson DD719 I am proud of my ancestors service to USA, I am proud of my children that are now Veterans, but I am humble of any envolvment that I served in during my spell in the Navy.

I salute all Brethren that are Veterans especially those that are "Tin Can Sailors"

So far Brethren that are "Tin Can Sailors" includes JD McGee and myself. I know that there are others lurking.

Back