Brisket Chili...Play By Play...

Sounds like a great idea in a Throw Down. When and where? I am pretty familiar with CASI judging and could help with facilitating the event. At this point I know more about chili then Q anyway.

Ive made Texas red before at it was great, we like beans in ours.
I use Bushes chili beans.

I'd hit that :-D

You left out one very important step, however...

Deglazing the chef! :-D

See "secret ingredient"...:p

looks killer! i've been to mirror pond :biggrin:

Lucky Duck...it's been my favorite for a few years now...and it's just down the road...well...kinda! :p

Perhaps it's time for a "Brethren Chili ThrowDown"?:biggrin:

There's one in the works for this weekend...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51291

Gonna have to try that one. I also like beans in my chili. Question- what does the yelllow bell pepper do to the chili--I have never tried that.

Soon afterwards there is the smell of something else in the air if you use beans...

And this is WHY I put beans in my chili. The gas we pass...

Competition chili cant have beans. Some would argue real chili has no beans.

My stance is: legumes are good for you. Eat em whenever you can. Then see if you can break BeerGuy's 14 second fart that we have on tape (somewhere - I hope I can still find it)

Chili for the bowl, got to have beans. Cincy style smooth hotdog chili, no beans. Heres my recipe, better than Skyline, and no beans.

CINCINNATI Parlor Style chili and coney sauce

2# of LEAN ground beef-raw do NOT brown it
1 quart plus 1 cup tomato juice (Ive used V-8 also)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 large whole onion (do not chop-just throw it in the pot)
2 dashes worchestershire sauce
1/8 tsp allspice
3 TBSP chili power
1 TBSP black pepper
1/2 TBSP salt
1 tsp red pepper (or two dried red peppers)
1 and 1/2 tsp vinegar
5 bay leaves

Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Cook UNCOVERED for 2 hrs on low heat. Remove the onion and the bay leaves. Refriderate, then skim off fat from top.Heat to serve. Add chopped onions and grated cheddar cheese for coneys. serve topped over spaghetti with grated cheese for a 3 way. Extra freezes well.

Gonna have to try that one. I also like beans in my chili. Question- what does the yelllow bell pepper do to the chili--I have never tried that.

Not sure...sometimes we use green or red...it's my wife's recipe...I think it's a veggie thing...but it works? :lol: Maybe it's adding a little sweet to offset the heat.

I made some brisket chili yesterday for the first time with most of a flat and some point left from Sayville. I course chopped the meat and sauteed with a coarse chopped large Vidalia onion, 4 cloves of garlic, 3 large jalapenos chopped small (left seeds in one), a jar of roasted red peppers chopped, a few tablespoons of mixed chile powders (ancho, cayenne, chiplotle, etc.), deglazed with a Spaten Octoberfest (great beer) added a can of chopped tomatoes and a couple of cups of beef stock to cover and cooked all day over low. Before serving, however, I smashed the meat with a slotted spoon to break up the chunks. Served Frito pie style with aged cheddar, sour cream, finely chpped raw onion & jalapeno (would have put in some fresh tomato if I had it) and hot sauce. Farking awesome, thanks for the idea guys!

That's a fine looking bowl of soup:p:mrgreen:

That's a fine looking bowl of soup:p:mrgreen:

:lol::lol::lol:...Is it a bean thing...or too much of my "secret ingredient"? I've never been a big fan of thick chili...I like soppin it up with a crusty bread!

:lol::lol::lol:...Is it a bean thing...or too much of my "secret ingredient"? I've never been a big fan of thick chili...I like soppin it up with a crusty bread!

Beans and floaters. As a Texan, I'm required by law, to remain a purist:wink: No doubt in my mind that it tasted great!:mrgreen:

Mirror Pond is good stuff. Had a few last night while I grilled a tri-tip.

Beans and floaters. As a Texan, I'm required by law, to remain a purist:wink: No doubt in my mind that it tasted great!:mrgreen:

Understood Brother Texan! :p Maybe I'll try a "CASI" sanctioned recipe one day...hey...ya never know until you try. Swamprb is doing "CASI" chili now...I'll have to hit him up for a taste or two. :lol:

Question- what does the yelllow bell pepper do to the chili--I have never tried that.

Adds color and makes it pertty :cool:

That's why I add different kind of beans from white to red to black

Back