Pork shoulder cooking temp and time question

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just put rub on a pork shoulder for sunday. I was wondering what temperture you guys cook at and what time you start? I usually start at 3am to be ready in time for supper but the low sunday morning is in the mid 20's so I would like to start later if I could (let it warm up a little bit!!!) anyway I have always cooked around 220 but if I cook it a little hotter will it overcook the shoulder? I also used lump charcoal and pear wood. Thank you in advance for any help!!!!:p:confused::confused:

Heat the baby up I just havee put on 4 pork butt and the temp was on 350 coming down. I usually cook around 270 -300

I cook my butts on a UDS hot at 300 or so, foil at 160 and take out at 200ish, rest for an hour( or more depending on the social situation) and pull.

225° - 300° I do try to keep it 250° or less for the first 3 hours, this seems to give me the best smoke flavour. I don't foil unless I have to avoid making to heavy a bark and too much "crunch". It's done when I can stick a fork all they way in and it freely twists and rotates.

If you do go hotter, just watch the bark. If it starts to get too dark them foil it with some liquid (apple juice, etc.) to keep the bark from burning.

Some folks do, particularly if the color is starting to get dark. I have found I can do a pretty hot butt and the main issue is color, moisture tends not to be a problem when cooking at 300F in my experience.

Back