First UDS Cook tomorrow

Smokin'Ron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm excited...Got 2 slabs of spares, a small brisket flat and 2 whole chickens.

Made my first fattie to go on tomorrow as well. Flattened 2lbs, diced onion, garlic, poblano, jalepeno, red and yellow pepper, and jack cheese and rolled it, but I think I goofed it and got the sausage too thin, holes everywhere. Good thing I bought bacon to wrap it in to cover the wholes :-D.

Got some nice thick cut bacon for a pig candy desert.

Oh yeah, definitely going to doing some pron... My camera has been smokin' from the UDS build.

Ron, it will be great bro. Just a suggestion, don't expect the temps on the drum to change quickly. Give that super cooker at least 45 minutes if you change the intakes. Patience is something lacking from the new UDS folk here lately. Have fun and I am sure it will come out great!

Congrats Ron - can't wait to see how it turns out ...

Also can'twait to get mine going

Ron, it will be great bro. Just a suggestion, don't expect the temps on the drum to change quickly. Give that super cooker at least 45 minutes if you change the intakes. Patience is something lacking from the new UDS folk here lately. Have fun and I am sure it will come out great!

Yeah, I'd love cooking with mine if taking the lid off meant the same thing! You'd think that the "not cookin' if you're lookin'" phrase came from someone who had a UDS or a BDS. That's why I don't like using two racks. The stuff on the bottom will need to be flipped more and will cook hotter, so it needs to be accessed more, but real FAST, before temps spike. I guess kingsford doesn't get away from you as quick with the lid on, but then again, the lump calms back down quicker, too. I really like my UDS for chicken, though, and it's good for anything if you like that "fat in the fire" flavor. I'd just recommend being really fast in turning and checking so you can get the lid back on quick. It's not like taking the lid off a wsm, especially one with a water pan pretty full.

To interpret MB, if you take the lid off of the cooker, the temps drop very fast. If only the temps stayed were they are, even as you take the lid off, that would be great. That way, when/if you have to turn the stuff on the bottom grate, you could take a lot of time to do it. As it is, you should plan your cook to maker sure you put stuff on the bottom rack that needs less turning, and, when you do turn the stuff on the bottom rack, do it quickly and with planning so as not to lose too much heat. Using lump makes this even more difficult than if you use Kingsford, as the temps for lump flare up faster than Kingsford does.

That all being said, good luck Smokin' Ron, it will be great. MB gave you a good tip, make small adjustments and be patient, it can take a while for a smoker to adjust to temp adjustments.

Welp, fired her up @ 6:30 this morning with about a 1/3 bag of RO lump in the bottom, about 20 KF Brick on that and about half a start of KF bricks to white hot. Dumped the starter on top, dropped a hickory and apple log on top. took about an hour to get to temp. threw my first rack in and dropped the Brisket and fattie on. Had to put the fattie in a pan since I didn't get it tight enough, but I believe it will still give me the flavor until I get to do another rolled correctly.

Right now I have both caps off and the ball valve wide open with the vent in the lid wide open. It's hanging right @ 240-250 under the first rack and I attached my digital to the top rack, it's running about 225. I am using a coal basket from the weber with a couple wholes drilled in it to allow the juices to hit the fire, I think it's keeping the temps low so far since I did have it at about 300 before putting it in there. I believe I'll need to add something to raise it off of the basket later.

Little starter pron, I'll update as the day progresses:

Attachments

• P1080009.jpg
    P1080009.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 155
  • P1080008.JPG
    P1080008.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 156
  • P1080007.JPG
    P1080007.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 156
Had to cap one intake about 8:45 and adjust the Ball valve to about 50%, holding steady @ 250 under first rack and about 225 on the top.

Pulled my first batch ever of pig candy of and gave it a nibble then had another to make sure the flavor was consitent. I have to agree that is the best thing ever... I followed a post I found and went 30 minutes, flipped and threw the sprinkle on for an hour. (Thanks to bbqjoe) I only had a pound so I halved the sprinkle, I'm regretting not getting more thick cut bacon now.

Fattie done and tastes awesome. Wasn't as loose as I feared, but I'm sure it would be much better a little tighter...

Attachments

• P1080005.JPG
    P1080005.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 138
Back