So I woke up to this in my side yard this morning.........

P

princess49615

So on this not-so-lovely morning I wake up to put my dog outside, only to be run right into this....Knowing my hubby it was a piece offering for behaving like a !@#face lately, lol. So I go inspect it....seems sturdy, nice smokestack BUT not enough room for much cooking once I put my fire on one side. Any suggestions cutting into this bad boy and putting a firebox on her so I can have more room.

Even if there not much room for cooking I am so putting it to work tonight, I'm thinking of doing a corned beef with potatoes, roasted corn and fried green tomatoes, so yet another question for y'all, ever done one before??? Suggestions would be grand, I wanna start in about an hour, and plan to eat around 10pmish.

Attachments

• SDC10286.jpg
    SDC10286.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 599
  • SDC10310.jpg
    SDC10310.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 585
  • SDC10311.jpg
    SDC10311.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 589
Last edited by a moderator:
that thing looks like it is begging to have some jerk chicken made on it! it won't get any realer than that. nice score!

That looks like it could make for a nice direct grilling cooker as well.

Yeah, I got quite the good man when he wants to be:) I'm still new to the whole smoking thing really I've only done ribs (MY FAVORITE) and had one failed attempt at a fatty. I plan on being labeled a *smokin fool* by the end of this month, study and hang out here all winter long, then smoke my arse off next year, thanks to all the things I am going to learn here.

that thing looks like it is begging to have some jerk chicken made on it! it won't get any realer than that. nice score!

I have a grill like that too. I started smoking ribs on it till I bought my smoker. my charcoal pan sits right on the bottom of the grill so it had enough room to spread out the coals and add the wood chips. It worked great and the ribs were done in about 4 hours.
100_7014.jpg

100_7024.jpg

100_7033.jpg

AWESOME pron:)

I have a grill like that too. I started smoking ribs on it till I bought my smoker. my charcoal pan sits right on the bottom of the grill so it had enough room to spread out the coals and add the wood chips. It worked great and the ribs were done in about 4 hours.
100_7014.jpg

100_7024.jpg

100_7033.jpg

Love those oil drum grills. Me and my dad spent many hours together burn... I mean cooking meat on one of those. I still have his old one but only use a couple times a year when I need the extra capacity.

That looks just like the one I used to get the fire started in, so my Dad could cook brisket or turkey. We used to eat a lot of excellent Que from that thing....

Yeah.... I'm thinking that I got to get someone to want to make up to me and leave something like that in my yard. Nice score!

I would use it as a grill and not worry about adding a firebox. That thing is begging for a 10lb sack of chicken quarters to be thrown on it.

I keep one like that at my camp. Occasionally i have to replace the barrel due to it walking off. I have the frame cemented in the ground and leave the grates in the camp. If i leave before the drum is cooled off, i just leave it outside. Most of the time it's still there when i return. You would be surprise at the good meals that can be cooked on it.

I don't think I'd cut it - just use it as is - if Big Brother Smoke says it makes good food, it's a sure thing :)

Back