Chicken turn-in box

Phil, just to let you know what I was told (and I'm sure I heard it right) at the CBJ class... sauce on the inside of the lid is not something they're supposed to score down for. When I was doing it Saturday, I didn't even take a look at the lids to notice what might or might not have been on them. But I agree that it's probably best not to take chances with the judges' ideas of what looks sloppy.

sauce on the inside of the lid is not something they're supposed to score down for

The judges aren't supposed to look for a smoke ring either - but they do and it better be there.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Phil, just to let you know what I was told (and I'm sure I heard it right) at the CBJ class... sauce on the inside of the lid is not something they're supposed to score down for.

I never said or insinuated it would be scored down. But it makes things look messy. We always wipe down the edges of the box, make sure the leaves are clean and free of sauce, dont have stuff sticking out the sides, etc.. Its being judged on appearance, and if its looks generally sloppy, it will be judged as such, wheather it be deliberate or subliminaly.

Its human nature to mark down something that looks sloppy. You can never take the human factor out of Judging so common sense says wipe the lid clean. No biggie.

Sawdustguy said:
Its human nature to mark down something that looks sloppy. You can never take the human factor out of Judging so common sense says wipe the lid clean. No biggie.

All I got to say about this is bigger is better.
Fill up the box.
More looks better

I agree with Jimmy... fill the box! And if you do, there's no way to keep sauce and food off the inside of the lid. I found my eyes really focusing intently on the meat and garnish and not at the lid at all. We also used to make sure every little piece of greenery was unable to be seen with the lid closed... until it was pointed out to me that the lid was open by the table captain before the judges got to see it. Don't get me wrong, I try to keep things as neat looking as possible but there's some things that are tough to accomplish, depending on how you build your boxes.

OK, we will be doing our practice cook this weekend I will be sure to post pics of all of our boxes for comments.

i have a question for the experienced competitors about the lettuce. if the meat is hot, wouldn't the lettuce be wilted by thre time it gets opened and how do you prevent this?
phil

Here's what I do.

Wash the lettuce and parsley. Lay them out in a cooler with paper towels and some ice to keep them cool till you need them.

Setup a bin with some ice water. Put some lettuce leaves in there. Put a bunch of parsley in there. Always keep a box worth of lettuce/parsley in the ice water.

Open up the turn in box.

Take out a leaf - dry it off about 98%. It will still be moist, but not wet. Setup the bed of lettuce and parsley. For the parsley - i just shake the water from it. Again, not all but almost all the water off it.

Layout the meat.

Finish off the box with the lettuce and parsley.

Ask Phil and Smoker for second opinons on the layout. Make neccessary revisions. Take a picture of it.

Seal up the box and give to Sharon to take to the judges.

rookiedad said:
i have a question for the experienced competitors about the lettuce. if the meat is hot, wouldn't the lettuce be wilted by thre time it gets opened and how do you prevent this?
phil

Not a real problem and it affects most teams the same.
Most of us try to time it so the box is just getting finished at the window time. Keep it short.

TIM

My wife uses a salad spinner after keeping the lettuce in ice water.

Bringing up the turn in times begs another question: What is your strategy for timing your turn in? It's generally a 10 minute window, right? Do you try to get your entry there at 5 minutes before turn in or closer to, but not later than, 5 minutes after?

I think the meat, while being prepped, loses enough heat that it doesn't really affect the lettuce all that much.

cmcadams said:
My wife uses a salad spinner after keeping the lettuce in ice water.

Bringing up the turn in times begs another question: What is your strategy for timing your turn in? It's generally a 10 minute window, right? Do you try to get your entry there at 5 minutes before turn in or closer to, but not later than, 5 minutes after?

I think the meat, while being prepped, loses enough heat that it doesn't really affect the lettuce all that much.

This has been discussed in the past.
Some say early, some say late.
Some claim to wait around at the turn-in table to follow a "new team"-- hoping to get on the same table and score better. I never really figured that one out since the Reps mix boxes and tables to keep one team from getting judged by the same table twice (if possible).

We are just glad to hit the window :redface:

TIM

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions on the turn-in box. This will be a memorable experience for our team. I will continue to work on the chicken. I liked the idea of dipping the thighs in the sauce rather than brushing. Brushes are such a pain in the *&# to clean.

BBQJunkie said:
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions on the turn-in box. This will be a memorable experience for our team. I will continue to work on the chicken. I liked the idea of dipping the thighs in the sauce rather than brushing. Brushes are such a pain in the *&# to clean.

Get a chain brush. Instead of the hair or filament, they are tiny linked chains. I got one at Bass Pro and love it. Cleans in a snap.

I tried bbqjunkies chicken today and I could give a flying fig about wet or dry lettuce, the chicken was damn tasty.

Back