General cooking knives

I got a block with Victorinox knives (on sale) when a local BBQ store went out of business. :sad: I added a 7" santoku to the set. It's my "other half's favorite. I like the 8" chef's knife. The boning knife is handy as is the long slicer. I particularly like the handle material. Easier to change your grip than with rubber handles but less slippery than a wooden handle. Priced right, too.

I would like to toss these other knives like these crappy ginsus...yes I said Ginsu. Also we have some Cutco knives that my wife doesnt want to get rid of.

I think getting a 10 inch chef and maybe a 8 inch chef might not be a bad idea. I am looking at them on Amazon. Any reccomendations on a knife steel?

Is there a place online that I can ship my knives to get them sharpened at or is that usually a local only gig.

Save the Ginsu knives. (You may want to cut a can... :icon_smile_tongue:)
I found a use for my Ginsu knife, I carry it in my Fishing Tackle Box.

Invest a little time and learn to sharpen your own knives...
THEN buy a few good knives.

I would buy a 10" chef knife for around $75-$100, a decent curved blade 6" boning knife and then I would buy an Apex Edgepro. Starting out, a decent chef knife and boning knife can handle pretty much anything. The key is to keep them sharp and the Edgepro will excel at that. Additionally,a bread knife is great for slicing ribs and brisket so pick up a cheap dexter 10" one and you will be good to go.

I would like to toss these other knives like these crappy ginsus...yes I said Ginsu. Also we have some Cutco knives that my wife doesnt want to get rid of.

I think getting a 10 inch chef and maybe a 8 inch chef might not be a bad idea. I am looking at them on Amazon. Any reccomendations on a knife steel?

Is there a place online that I can ship my knives to get them sharpened at or is that usually a local only gig.

Why don't you like the Cutco knives? Cutco knives has free resharpening and they come to your house to do it, my mom uses them in her commercial kitchen and loves them.

i have several Victorinox's and Dexter-Russel's and i'm confident you'll be happy with them. great knives and i dont have to worry about losing a mortgage payment if(more like when) they go in the dishwasher.

Back