Anybody wrap beef chuck ribs?

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Got 4 very meaty 4 bone racks to cook tomorrow and thinking of just treating them like a H&F brisket: about 300*, 4 hours, wrap in BP for a couple more hours or probe tender then rest. Any thoughts?

I'd treat them like pork spareribs. I cook mine at 250 then foil at about three hours until tender. Be sure to remove that tough membrane. Good luck.

Here's a peek inside Adam Perry Lang's cooker

IMG_2186.jpg

The results are fantastic - so I'm guessing wrapping is a fine thing to do with chuck ribs. :thumb:

I have wrapped them, as an experiment, and it worked great. It isn't really necessary unless you are trying to control color or bark texture. But, the two times I did it, the results were excellent, beautiful color, crisp thin bark and very juicy with melting texture.

I have done wrapped and not. If I have the time, lower temp without wrap works well for me but H&F wrapped does juts fine.

I tend to find these take significantly longer that pork spares or baby backs, but that will be a function of how meaty yours are. I usually end up wrapping mine to help them along because they do take more time than I expect. They come out great.

I tend to find these take significantly longer that pork spares or baby backs, but that will be a function of how meaty yours are. I usually end up wrapping mine to help them along because they do take more time than I expect. They come out great.

I guess I'm on the same page as Gore.... with respect to meatiness, the way they look in the pit and how moist I can keep them. These for example were looking good during most of the cook, and they most likely got a short wrap to finish, and then I rest them (which I don't do with pork ribs).

DSC03165aaacrop2.jpg

I have a buddy that is a fellow cattleman & BBQer and happens to be a butcher so he has been on the look out for a source of "meaty" ribs. These happen to be Angus select and are about 3" thick (so about 2" of meat over the bone) with some really nice marbling. I think we will wrap with BP at an IT of about 170* then carry in the cooker to probe tender, then rest for an hour or so.

Back