View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Chuckie is an unforgiving PR!C< and pRon

So this will be part rant and part request for help with pRon.

I've been reading about chuckies on here from day one and have been wanting to try one of the melt in your mouth delicious treats (as you can see my expectations were high). So a couple of weeks ago I tried one on my Mini-WSM, well long story short my fuel had gotten damp, couldn't keep temp, switched to the gasser to finish and it was a HUGE FLOP. No biggy, I know what went wrong so I'll fix that next time.

So...yesterday was round two with chuckie (rotten bast...anyway). I had recently read the John Lewis interview/discussion and he talks about what he does to prep/season his brisket and I have heard over and over how chuckies are just like brisket so why not.

I started the night before by giving it a slather of 2 Tbsp of yellow mustard mixed with 2 Tbsp of pickle juice. After the slather I gave it a good rub down with the mix of black pepper, lawrys, kosher salt, & garlic that he says he uses on brisket.

This chuckie was around 4.5 lbs.

P1000222.jpg

P1000223.jpg

Started the fire around 8:00 am and then put the meat on at around 8:30 am.

P1000227.jpg

Temp held steady at around 250-260 throughout the cook. Unfortunately, it didn't hit the target IT of 160 before I had to run some errands (about 155 or so) and by the time I got back the IT hit 185. The other thing the struck me was the appearance, instead of having a nice crusty bark it looked gloppy (see pic) I wrapped it up with a mix of onions, Dr. BBQ cow injection and beer and put it back on.

P1000229.jpg

I then brought it up to an IT of 205 and put it in a cooler wrapped in towels for a little over an hour and then took it out to pull. Now, I did prob and did get some resistance but I figured the hour+ in the cooler would fix that. (not)

It did pull but was a bit challenging so I put it back in the juice and into the oven at 250 for a little while and ended up with this...

P1000230.jpg

I put it on some buns and on to my finest Styrofoam china

P1000234.jpg

So this wasn't the worst thing I've ever eaten but it was far from the melt in your mouth deliciousness that I was expecting. I was expecting the chuck roast to be somewhat forgiving because it's fatty and has melting connective tissue (I was thinking more like a boston butt...easy). I'm finding this to be a bit more challenging than I expected so any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks from: --->