• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Does anyone know this Turn in box method?

altomari8868

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am pulling this from the a well known team in California... Sounds a LOT EASIER :doh: than what I am doing. If you know or have done this, I was hoping someone might share ...

"Based on popular request, we conducted our Lazy Man presentation box class for the new and established teams who wanted to watch us build our 4 KCBS presentation boxes with 1 head of lettuce and 4 heads of parsley for less than $4.00 and less than 20 minutes. We’ve taught our easy technique to dozens of teams the past couple of years and the popularity of this technique continues to grow exponentially as we level the playing field so it’s about the meat and not the garnish. I ran in to Johnny Triggs who cooked this event and he’s been using it also."

If we really want to focus on the meat and not the garnish, I can think of an even more lazy technique... costs $0.00, and takes 0 minutes. :wink:

Harry needs to learn to spell Johnny's last name correctly too.

Last edited:
Anybody that has learned the 'Lazy Man' method care to share the technique with the rest of us?

Interesting...guess we'll find out all about it at Johnny's class...:thumb:

All that is required to learn the technique is to be at a contest where Slap Yo Daddy BBQ is competing. The demo is given at 7:15 or 7:30 on Saturday mornings. Check out the website for the list of contests. There may even be a video of a demo somewhere on the AZ Barbeque website. Haven't seen it in a while.

Benny

Like Benny said
Harry does this class at every contest for free

There is no reason to spend hours creating a putting green that can not be seen
by the judges when it is covered with meat

That's great if you're in Californication.... to see the demo...
Most of us aren't.

How about somebody explaining instead of veiled references....

Fortunately garnishing isn't allowed at the IBCA comps we're doing. I would guess though that the method is lettuce as the base with parsley around the edges, the meat would sit on or cover the lettuce.

Harry's box method dropped our times down tremendously. It's basically a chopped lettuce base for height with parsley placed on top. If you ever get a chance to go to the box making class be sure to go. The first one we went to had a ton of other tips that made a difference in our scores.

How about somebody explaining instead of veiled references....

I am not sure about the specific method to which others are referring but I can tell you ours.

It begins by cutting slices of iceberg lettuce that are 1" - 1 1/2" wide. Do not break the lettuce down in any way prior. Begin slicing at the top of the head and cut towards the root. Discard the root. The size of the lettuce slices depends on how high you want the meat to sit in the box. I cut larger strips for my pork, for example, as that sits higher in the box in my presentation.

You should then essentially have discs of lettuce. Place these discs in the bottom of your box, they will act as anchors for your parsley. Make sure the bottom of the box is covered. The "lazy" part I'm thinking may be that you really don't have to then parsley up the entire box. Meat will be covering a majority of the lettuce so you arrange the parsely around the edges of the box and the areas that will not be covered by meat. If you need the meat to sit higher in the box an extra layer of well placed iceburg hidden from view works just as well as more parsley that the judges will not see until after Appearance points have been awarded.

We do not tie our parlsey bunches or any of that either. Simply grab a bunch, cut the stems to an even length and insert into the lettuce base.

Hope this helps.

My understanding is Johnny doesn't use this method. He used it a couple of times until someone called him out that his boxes looked like a glorified salad. He uses his own technique. Or should I say Trish's technique.

what your describing is the pickled pig method, except for the lazy part.

i'm guessing the technique being discussed is closer to the sled school.
my wife did 4 boxes in under an hour...on the 1st time out!

but who knows, nobody is giving up any INFO!

I am not sure about the specific method to which others are referring but I can tell you ours.

It begins by cutting slices of iceberg lettuce that are 1" - 1 1/2" wide. Do not break the lettuce down in any way prior. Begin slicing at the top of the head and cut towards the root. Discard the root. The size of the lettuce slices depends on how high you want the meat to sit in the box. I cut larger strips for my pork, for example, as that sits higher in the box in my presentation.

You should then essentially have discs of lettuce. Place these discs in the bottom of your box, they will act as anchors for your parsley. Make sure the bottom of the box is covered. The "lazy" part I'm thinking may be that you really don't have to then parsley up the entire box. Meat will be covering a majority of the lettuce so you arrange the parsely around the edges of the box and the areas that will not be covered by meat. If you need the meat to sit higher in the box an extra layer of well placed iceburg hidden from view works just as well as more parsley that the judges will not see until after Appearance points have been awarded.

We do not tie our parlsey bunches or any of that either. Simply grab a bunch, cut the stems to an even length and insert into the lettuce base.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

That's what that is? Heck, I have been doing that already... :doh:

OK, bit my lip enough... One of the highlights of my cooking class is my 9 year old teaching the class on how to do boxes. She doesn't use lettuce and she doesn't give classes at every contest because she is sleeping. But she has built boxes for other teams and has also built Grand Champion boxes. But the way everyone is talking, I'm recommending that she triple her fee because you guys are making it so hard.... she should have college paid for in a year I am figuring...

Our team went from the Pickled Pig method to the Harry Soo toss in chopped greens and finish with parsley and saw no difference in appearance scores. If anything, in our opinion it looks better than tightly packed putting green.

The best idea for boxes are to do them early. Pack them in a cooler when you're done. Making boxes is our Saturday morning hangover cure anyhow.

Back