I wanna hug my butcher

Maybe not intentional on the meaning but "packer" came out of a packed box and not fresh cut mini packer. I would love to see pics of these sides that don't come out of a box.

What slaughter house does it come from. Not gonna argue but any good shop will give you any cut to order out of a factory farm box.

Cheers

I will get pics of one. For now here's a few mini briskets to hold you over. They were all as you see them. They are lying in the meat case behind some roasts. They're not listed for sale. You just have to ask for them. It's like the odds bet in craps.

Aw man, that's awesome you have access to a nice butcher like that! I miss my days in Texas where I was friends with a good butcher years ago. He basically let me point to the part of the beef ribs I wanted a cut from, let alone the other popular cuts. Still looking for a butcher like that here in MN...

Cherish a good butcher while you can!

I wonder if you could haggle the guy any on selling you the fat. I'd still buy that up and render it down into some tallow. All my excess fat off my Costco briskets end up as tallow, and it gets used for making up french fries, or chicken, or whatever.

Tallow? What and how?

I was trying to NOT pay for fat. I'd like to talk with the owner about trimmed brisket costing the same as out of the cryovac.

Tallow? What and how?

I was trying to NOT pay for fat. I'd like to talk with the owner about trimmed brisket costing the same as out of the cryovac.

Tallow is deeelicious. I take beef fat, partially freeze it, grind it down in a meat grinder with my smallest size plate, put it in a pot, cover the fat with some water, and slow cook it on the stove. By the time the water cooks out of the pot enough fat has rendered down to provide the cushion to allow the rest of the fat to render.
When the little bits of fat are nothing but tiny little specks, you strain the tallow, and you're good to go. You can either 'can' it or refrigerate it.
Lots of people keep the little specks as some sort of salad throw on, but I typically just throw them away.

People make candles with tallow as well, but I have never done that.

Back