some times the magic works, and some times it doesn't - problem w/ my sauce (more of a vent post then cry for help)

RichardF

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
so i've pretty-much made the same sauce for the last 3-years with very little variation other then a little tweaking here and there. tonight i'm following the recipe and go in for a taste and it's just not right. wife takes a taste and says too tangy, too much lemon juice. only i havn't added any lemon juice yet. same ingredients same prep as every other time. fixed with the addition of some molasses. not my standard sauce, but still pretty good.

i guess the old indian was right *some times the magic doesn't work*

Either too much acid in the tomatoes, or too much heat is my guess. If you controlled the heat then it's too much acid. You can try to counter it with some sugar, or something else that's neutral or dipping some bread in can draw some of that flavor off.

"Same ingredients"; but was it the same brands of ingredients? I notice a distinct difference between various brands of tomato sauce and ketsups... Same goes for spices, vinegar, onions...

yep - other than the onions, everything was exactly the same as 4-weeks ago. go figure. at least there's been a happy ending. my wife a neighbor both really like the new sauce with the added molasses, which has a sweeter flavor profile than my standard sauce. see how it goes w/the rest of the gang, but i may have a winner on my hands :rolleyes:

Back