Yield for Chicken

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

If you are using whole roasters, what would be the approximate yield for pulled chicken?

Thanks,

Eric

I get about 42% yield from a 5# roaster. That is pulling the skin off also.

I wish it was.

I have been trying things with boneless breasts and thighs. It works if you can use it right away.

I just did a Birthday party for 40-50 last weekend. The Birthday girl(turning 60) wanted pulled chicken sandwiches as her main dish. I cooked 6 Tyson whole young chickens, each averaging 6lbs. I too, was curious as to how much meat each bird would yield, so I weighed everything I could possibly strip from the bones, minus the skin, of course. I did this to 2 separate birds. Both came in right at 36oz of smoked meat. If my math is right, that's right at 38%. I was figuring on 4oz portions, and with 10 or so kids there eating hot dogs, I figured I would be safe with my 6 birds. When I left the party I peeked inside the roaster and saw that there was enough meat left for 3-4 sandwiches, not too shabby. haha. I also, was hoping for a better yield. Hmmmm?
Hope this helps, Dave

I also figure about 35-40% on chicken.

Pulled chicken is not a very cost efficient product. Worse if you figure in labor.

Pulled chicken is not a very cost efficient product. Worse if you figure in labor.

I agree completely. We won't even offer it due to the time involved. We will do whole birds or quarters.

In our area we have found that if we don't mention "pulled" chicken the customer never asks for it. :wink:

Back