Need answer QUICK...Mesquite

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Is Mequite chunks ok to cook a butt with? Its all i can find right now. Any help? Need answer before store closes.

Most grocery stores carry wood chunks with the charcoal.
Along with home depot and lowes.
Mesquite is quite strong. Use it sparingly.
Most Texans smoke with mesquite as it is plentiful.
I would look around for some peach or pecan locally.
jon

1+ to above post. Make sure that is the flavor you want on your meat.

Couldn't agree more with the above. Mesquite has always been a little on the strong side for my taste. If you use it, use half what you normally you would with hickory or oak. My $.02.

Is Mequite chunks ok to cook a butt with? Its all i can find right now. Any help? Need answer before store closes.

i have a butt on now with mesquite, which i use regurlarly, and never have a problem with it being over powering

Ive never used Mesquite but I would use it sparingingly.

Good luck, let us know how the pork turned out.

I like mesquite but you can over smoke with it especially on a long cook... use a couple of small tennis ball sized chunks after the fire is hot for the first couple of hours, and then back off and let it go..

I like a butt smoked with hickory or apple, but have used mesquite, just watch out as said above, use sparingly.

Mesquite makes for weirdo Q... What are you from Texas or something???

Home Depot and Lowes both carry Hickory chips and chunks...

To me sparingly on a butt means very light blue/gray smoke for only two to three hours. No it's not my first choice either. Only use well seasoned wood. The whole Texas crutch thing is because folks in Texas who cook with a straight mesquite wood fire (no charcoal) foil or bag the Brisket to avoid over smoking, which does not taste good.

Thank you for that explaination Konrad.
I cooked with a friend in Ennis Tx. years ago, he said Mesquite would never ever go into his firebox.
He told me that crap would ruin meat cooked on an offset pit.
You just awnsered a 14 yr. old question for me.

Check with Academy sports for wood they usually have a good selection

decided against the mesquite. Just gonna go get some wood from HD tomorrow and put the butts on tomorrow night for an overnighter. thnks for the advice, guys!

Back