Question for Candidates

good, now send me your sidekicks(avatar) and take up needlepoint.

Jim,

Who were the four husband/wife teams that served on the board at the same time? I could only think of Carolyn and Gary, but they weren't actuallly board members were they? I thought Gary only voted to break ties.

Just curious.

Phillip I ask you who presented the petition to you, please answer. I am also wondering if they were a KCBS rep if they along with you remember signing this:

POLICY ON ANTI-DISCRIMINATION AND ANTI-HARASSMENT???

Jim,

Who were the four husband/wife teams that served on the board at the same time? I could only think of Carolyn and Gary, but they weren't actuallly board members were they? I thought Gary only voted to break ties.

Just curious.

They are the only ones who served together at the same time. Rich and I served on the Board but Rich served around 1993-95 when they had a 2 year term limit and I was on the Board from 2002 - 2007 when the terms were 3 years. Then I had to step down for year and could have re-run again this year which I chose not to.

Hope this helps
Bunny

Jim,

Just curious.

Gary only voting to break ties is the definition of the President of the Board.

There were cases of husband wife teams on the board in the early years.

Arlie,

It circulated at The Jack, didn't you see it? Oh, that's right . . .

Got someting on your mind let it rip, betting you dont know as much as you think and after all you have filled the reps list with stupidity all year! I just asked you a question and you wont answer????

Okay, that's 1. You said 4. Just want to know for historical reasons.

Got someting on your mind let it rip, betting you dont know as much as you think and after all you have filled the reps list with stupidity all year! I just asked you a question and you wont answer????

Okay guys. This is NOT in the spirit of this list. Might I suggest you tone it down just a tad. Sniping at each other like this will only inflame everyone.

Thank you, Larry, you are indeed right. We have gotten waaaaaay off the original topic of the post. I apologize to you, Phil, and everyone else. I enjoy this sight way too much to put that in jeopardy!

Phillip

Election questionnaire for publication in the Bullsheet

For all candidates for KCBS Board of Directors

2009 Election

Instructions: Please answer each question. Provide a brief and concise answer to each of the following questions. Your answers will be published in the KCBS Bullsheet and on the KCBS Web site.

1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS board of Directors and its membership.
Being self employed in the computer industry I know what its like to wear many hats.
To be successful, it takes responsibility and commitment.
Being self employed also allows me a more flexible schedule.

2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in whichyou are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.
Up until the 2008 season, KCBS updated the rules, regulations, organizer requirements, forms, rep responsibilities, etc. in January and kept them in place for that season. This year, that policy changed. While it may seem like a good idea to make changes along the way, the result was, lots of confusion among the reps, organizers, teams and judges that ended up with contests running on different forms and rules. Even the KCBS office couldn’t keep current on the correct forms.
I think KCBS should go back to yearly updates so that organizers, teams, reps and judges are all on the same page in all parts of the country.

3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of thesegoals.
Being a rep, having cooked and judged, a recurring issue I would like to address:
Teams keep asking me for explanation for how four out of six judges can score an entry an eight or nine while the remaining judges score it five, four or even a three. KCBS has tried several changes to the scoring criteria trying to minimize erratic scoring, the latest change, using descriptors on the score cards, just seems to have made matters worse.
For the short term, I propose KCBS go to: An entry comes in and is scored up or down on its merits. (I believe this system produced more consistent results)
Longer term, I think better testing of scoring changes should be used before implementing. We now have several generations of CBJ’s that have all been taught different scoring systems and I believe this has had a negative effect on the quality of the scoring.

4. If elected please explain “your level of commitment, time and energy” for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.
I am the type of person that finishes what he starts.
I will attend the board and committee meetings.
I will listen.

5. Please describe your participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.

Joined KCBS and became a CBJ in 1999.
Received Master CBJ in 2001.
Started to Rep in 2002.
Former member of Four Men And A Pig.

6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.
I feel that it is easy to complain about a situation.
It requires more of an effort to find a solution.
As a board member, I will not just help find solutions but be able to implement them.

mikebudai@yahoo.com
913-782-2461

Election questionnaire for publication in the Bullsheet

For all candidates for KCBS Board of Directors

2009 Election

Instructions: Please answer each question. Provide a brief and concise answer to each of the following questions. Your answers will be published in the KCBS Bullsheet and on the KCBS Web site.

1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS board of Directors and its membership.
Being self employed in the computer industry I know what its like to wear many hats.
To be successful, it takes responsibility and commitment.
Being self employed also allows me a more flexible schedule.

2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in whichyou are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.
Up until the 2008 season, KCBS updated the rules, regulations, organizer requirements, forms, rep responsibilities, etc. in January and kept them in place for that season. This year, that policy changed. While it may seem like a good idea to make changes along the way, the result was, lots of confusion among the reps, organizers, teams and judges that ended up with contests running on different forms and rules. Even the KCBS office couldn’t keep current on the correct forms.
I think KCBS should go back to yearly updates so that organizers, teams, reps and judges are all on the same page in all parts of the country.

3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of thesegoals.
Being a rep, having cooked and judged, a recurring issue I would like to address:
Teams keep asking me for explanation for how four out of six judges can score an entry an eight or nine while the remaining judges score it five, four or even a three. KCBS has tried several changes to the scoring criteria trying to minimize erratic scoring, the latest change, using descriptors on the score cards, just seems to have made matters worse.
For the short term, I propose KCBS go to: An entry comes in and is scored up or down on its merits. (I believe this system produced more consistent results)
Longer term, I think better testing of scoring changes should be used before implementing. We now have several generations of CBJ’s that have all been taught different scoring systems and I believe this has had a negative effect on the quality of the scoring.

4. If elected please explain “your level of commitment, time and energy” for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.
I am the type of person that finishes what he starts.
I will attend the board and committee meetings.
I will listen.

5. Please describe your participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.

Joined KCBS and became a CBJ in 1999.
Received Master CBJ in 2001.
Started to Rep in 2002.
Former member of Four Men And A Pig.

6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.
I feel that it is easy to complain about a situation.
It requires more of an effort to find a solution.
As a board member, I will not just help find solutions but be able to implement them.

mikebudai@yahoo.com
913-782-2461

Mike, you definately have my vote!!:smile:

Bunny Tuttle

Gene is one of the best people for the job. I ask that all east coast members consider him as he will listen to your concerns and take them to the board. You can call him almost anytime.

Arlie

I just stumbled across this thread and wow. I know almost everyone that has been posting and all I can say is wow. Let have some fun.

Back