• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why don't you enter a throwdown? Just Sayin.

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
When I look at the number of people associated with these forums, I am amazed at how few of my Brethren participate in the weekly Throwdowns. I am really curious why more of ya'll don't participate. I have competed in many a chili cook-off and BBQ events at the backyard, novice, level and found them to be very biased with respect to the judging. (Who knows who and the old boy network, etc.) These events were not cheap btw. I have spent upwards of $200.00 for chili ingredients alone. Only to be overlooked in the judging, when I know my final product was far superior.

I really like the BBQ Brethren format for the Throwdowns. I only have to make what I would already be making for myself for either breakfast, lunch, or dinner. No need for giant pots to feed the masses or to box up for the judges. Granted, nobody can judge on taste, but to be completely honest, if my dish is off or tastes like chit I will tell you and I have done so.

Please tell me your thoughts, I am really, genuinely curious why there are not more participants in these fun weekly contests.

Jed

I am in a mode currently, where I am not always cooking outside. If I was, I would enter more often. I will get back into the swing soon.

I got a zero in my very first one and don't want to ruin my average...

I am in a mode currently, where I am not always cooking outside. If I was, I would enter more often. I will get back into the swing soon.
Please don't reply from the restaurant tonight. This could be considered unreasonable at best Bob!:-D

I never really considered it before. I thought you had to have some sort of membership or something. Are you telling me that everyone can enter ... and it's free? Wow, what a great deal! Sounds like fun! :thumb:
Yes, Gore it is true all this fun for free! You should really spread your wings and fly. I would be quite beneficial for you!

Still tweaking my recipes, low sodium, low fat ugh! Once I can get them to taste like something again it looks like fun.

I have never been able to get pics to load from my phone and my internet is poor so I always had trouble getting pics to load from my laptop in a timely manner.Laptop went to hell and now I have an Ipad which seems to be faster so I may try one if the pics load better.

I really enjoy doing it! And, I just entered the zero club on the soul food!

Another Soul Food Zero member here on my first try in a Throwdown. I'm hooked now. Yesterday my wife asked what I was cooking for this weeks contest because she is digging the new stuff. I do all the cooking at my house and lately my menu choices have been a little uninspired. Participating in the Throwdowns have gotten my creative juices flowing again. I find myself paying more attention to my everyday cooking. So far this week I have prepared two new dishes and my family is loving the results.
Another thing I wanted to say is don't get hung up on trying to create "authentic" dishes for each category. Something inspired by or using ingredients familiar to the category is okay IMHO. I also wonder if people think everything in the entry has to be cooked outside. Just my opinion but as a voter if the main component is grilled, smoked, or barbecued that's cool.

Last edited:
Living here in South Florida, I cook everything I can outdoors. I don't like to add heat inside while paying to cool it down. I am also the chef around here and my wife doesn't eat red meat so that's 2 meals at a time usually. The throwdowns are a lot of fun for me I always have a lot of left overs for my friends and family.

Thats a good question. I know I am here and sometimes see the throwdown threads and think I should do that. Then the phone rings, and with my short, childlike attention span I forget all about it. I am going to enter this weeks throwdown!

Hold on, phones ringing...

Life's got me really busy. I cook at competitions quite a bit lately, but at home, it's either quickly grilling something for the family or not grilling or smoking at all. I have 4 kids that are all highly engaged in all kinds of activities and my wife and I are also very busy with other things outside of the home.

Frankly, I just don't have time. And when I DO have a weekend off and can cook something, when I check the TD forum, the theme is something like "Asian Soup" or "Italian" or something that doesn't seem to be BBQ related or something I'm at all familiar with. The themes are up to the winners of previous TD's and that's how it always has been and should continue, just doesn't seem compatible often anymore.

PLUS.....I'm a competitor at heart. I like to win and if there's no real chance in winning, I don't see the point in taking the time to compete. The voting in the TD's is an odd dynamic. The only way to win seems to be in the plating or photography. Not always, but obviously these two things make the quickest and most logical impact on an entry. I'm just a "cook it and put it on a plate" guy and have no real photography skills.

In the end, though, the reason I don't play much anymore is I just don't have the time.

Heck, the only real time I have to post here anymore is during work hours, when I really SHOULDN'T be taking the time to do so. Evenings and weekends seem to be out of the question.

I dig the Throwdowns, really I do.
Just not for me anymore I guess.
Perhaps this will change.

I don't think about it most of the time. Nothing against them, but the way my brain works (or doesn't work) is that I think about the forum when I am on the forum, when I am not, I don't. When I see the voting threads come up, I have that "oh yeah" kind of moment. I would really like to be a member of the zero club, :mrgreen:

I plan on entering the burger throw down, but just becuase I happened to plan on cooking burgers tonight and that category came up............then again, I might not remember to take any pics. :doh:

There have been a couple of times that I thought about entering and then something comes up and the deadline has come and gone.

Back