• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

judging cleanser

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok totally random Q question. When a judge has to judge so much food, who does he/she cleanse the pallet and mouth of the previous food so that other flavors from previous foods dont blend with the next?

thanks

Beer would be good...I'm no judge so I don't know...

They have bottled water and saltine crackers at the judges table. Don't believe they are allowed anything else. Judging a couple times and it works.

interesting. i have always wondered how it worked. i thought it would have been bread or something close to that nature.

Water and saltines only. (for KCBS) other places they had everyhing including beer. I judge mostly KCBS for the fairness in judging. Also most do not allow hand wipes for that can taint the tastes.Steve.

In MBN use saltines and bottled water as well.

You are not allowed to be drinking alcohol or smoking beforehand either. I don't think they're going to boot you if you are at a tent for a beer or two before judging but if you show up at the judging tent with a beer in hand or impaired they will likely not let you judge. Smoking Cigarettes also jacks up your taste buds and is looked down on.

I personally don't even like to use the saltines because of the sodium content.

what about tortillas? they are low sodium

thanks for the info guys,. the reason i ask, i have to write a review for someone who lives in southern utah who is trying to sell his rubs. i have to judge them and i need to know some "know how" so i can review accurately and honestly

Our contest's in Great Bend have started using un-salted saltine (is that an oxymoron?) crackers. Talk about a bland pallette cleanser, lol. I always take a bite of cracker, and swish a mouthfull of water between each sample. I have had a few chicken turn-ins that were so spicy hot that even cracker and water did not cleanse my mouth.

Interesting idea about the tortilla, might be something to look into.

Last edited:
Do you think that a drink of milk would neutralize the spicy chicken in stead of water?

Our contest's in Great Bend have started using un-salted saltine (is that an oxymoron?) crackers. Talk about a bland pallette cleanser, lol. I always take a bite of cracker, and swish a mouthfull of water between each sample. I have had a few chicken turn-ins that were so spicy hot that even cracker and water did not cleanse my mouth.

Interesting idea about the tortilla, might be something to look into.

One of the comps last year had those little fish crackers. Don't know why. Guess it was something they forgot about and fish crackers were all they could find at the last minute. Think that it might have been also the place that ran out of paper towel and had to finish with tt.
icon8.gif

Wayne

Do you think that a drink of milk would neutralize the spicy chicken in stead of water?

It may neutralize the spice, but I think the milk would coat the mouth and need to be cleansed itself. I have even commented to the other judges when a sample that spicy that it is not fair to the samples that have to be tasted after it. Luckily it has only happened a couple of times in 25 or so contest's I've judged.

yeah tortillas are pretty awesome. A friend of mine told me that thats why you see flour tortillas being eat with spicy food. it helps calm the heat and cleanse the mouth.

thanks guys

There are some non scented hand wipes the Iowa BBQ Society has talked about using to clean your hands of anything in between. Cost is a little more.

There are some non scented hand wipes the Iowa BBQ Society has talked about using to clean your hands of anything in between. Cost is a little more.

I have seen some judges bring in wet cloth hand towels in a baggie to use to wipe their hands. The sloppiest category for me is chicken, there is a LOT of sauce used on most of the entries.

I may be hijacking the thread but another pet peeve with sauce on the fingers I have is that when I have table captained I ask the judges not to lick the sauce off their fingers after removing a sample from the box, then reach into the next box. I ask them to wipe the sauce off with a napkin.

For our contest, we keep unsalted soda crackers & bottled water on the tables. We use the small bottles of water so there is not as much waste. I also set up a judge's lounge in a separate room with a tray of fruit & veggies. This also helps with the palate cleansing.

I use parsley from the turn in boxes. Take some when box is passed around for us to
take our portion to judge out of the box .

It routinely works great. A small sprig will take my mouth back to "neutral" so there is no carryover from one judging sample to the other.

I use some water. That helps some but not as much as parsley. Crackers will fill you up. I avoid them.

At our contest I encourage the use of parsley as a palate cleanser to our judges.

So those of you who put turn in boxes together, know that some of that parsley
helps the judging beyond just being garnish during appearance judging.

This is a great question. Good opportunity for teams to get some insight into the mystery of what happens in the judging area.

Back