Internal Temp for Brisket Point ONLY?

Ciggy5

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a brisket this weekend, but I don't really need a whole 14 lb brisket, so I was thinking about doing just a point... I've done some research and can't really find posts - on this site or others - about what temp to cook a standalone point to... Go for 200-205? Less? More? Any help greatly appreciated!

Just by feel. Probe tender is the way to go - the meat will tell you when it's done.

As to finish temps - which truthfully I never pay attention to on big cuts like brisket and pork shoulder - they vary a lot, and cooking at lower temps for longer will lead to a lower finishing temp than cooking hot and fast.

The points have so much fat in them I doubt they will all be rendered down by the time you get to 200-205 deg. I've never cooked just the point by itself but I find that the point takes several hours more after the flat is done to get most of the fat rendered out.

Just by feel. Probe tender is the way to go - the meat will tell you when it's done.

As to finish temps - which truthfully I never pay attention to on big cuts like brisket and pork shoulder - they vary a lot, and cooking at lower temps for longer will lead to a lower finishing temp than cooking hot and fast.

+1...

I'm guessing you meant flat only? Unless you have a full packer you separated.

If flat only start probing at 195 and look for the probe to move in and out of the meat with little resistance. Typically they are at that level around 198-205 for me, but they do vary.

Last edited:
Points are tricky. Can't really go by probe tender because of the fat content. If you are cooking at 300 it might be done around 205-210. Lower cooking temps will lower your finished temp.

Cooking around 275 to 300 I find mine finishing around 210 or just above.

I am new I find this thread interesting. I have tried cooking some brisket. I am finding the over done. I am wondering if there is an adjusted temp rating I should be aware of. Should I am for 5 or 10 degrees lower to get the results I want?

I am new I find this thread interesting. I have tried cooking some brisket. I am finding the over done. I am wondering if there is an adjusted temp rating I should be aware of. Should I am for 5 or 10 degrees lower to get the results I want?

A full packer is way different. You can't go by temp. Describe the over doneness.

Here ya go...

bigabyte's brisket tutorial

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Bludawg's method

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2703284&postcount=5

Very simple, very effective methods.

I prefer to cook points only when possible and have done a bunch of 'em. Probe tender does work for me. Experience here makes the difference---I can tell when I'm in a big pocket of fat, I simply re position or come in from the side.

Other than monitoring pit temps or turkeys, I'm done watching thermometers and way happier for it.

Why do you think they are overdone? What criteria are telling you its too done?

The reason I ask is that, with brisket, many beginners think they overcooked it when they actually didn't cook it enough.

If find it over done because it's a bit on dry side especially the next day. I have done two one was good one was what I would call over done. Also the color of the meat looked very well done. 200 seems high to me for a beef but I am still learning.

Thanks for posting the links. I will keep it under advisement as I go forward. Would the same rules apply to a prime rib?

I was thinking about doing a brisket this weekend, but I don't really need a whole 14 lb brisket, so I was thinking about doing just a point... I've done some research and can't really find posts - on this site or others - about what temp to cook a standalone point to... Go for 200-205? Less? More? Any help greatly appreciated!

212-215*

You really need to pinch it between your finger and thumb. You want it to feel like the fat is very soft and the meat is sliding easily on it.

Don't worry about over cooking it.

If find it over done because it's a bit on dry side especially the next day. I have done two one was good one was what I would call over done. Also the color of the meat looked very well done. 200 seems high to me for a beef but I am still learning.
Dry brisket is undercooked, unless it's falling apart when you slice it.

Thanks for posting the links. I will keep it under advisement as I go forward. Would the same rules apply to a prime rib?

A prime rib is a muscle that has never been used,so it's not tough and it's proteins wound tight. The brisket needs time for the proteins to relax and let the fat turn to moisture.

I read in another thread where you felt an internal temp of 170 was too high and wondered why anyone would take it further.

You have to understand, we're not cooking steaks here. There is a difference and it requires a different mind set and understanding.

Your brisket will get more tender & moist the longer you cook it.

And no, the same rules do not apply to prime rib.

Prime rib is a different - I'd be going more for roast type temps. I like to cook 'em low, like at 200 until they hit around 120, then sear and rest. The carryover cooking will take 'em to around 130 (I think - never temped 'em after the sear). Now that's my preference - kinda rare. Some folks may not like that and will take them to 145 or so. I think a lot is lost by going to higher temps on PR.

The grain, fat content, etc. is much different on prime ribs and briskets so different cooking approaches apply to each one.

Back