• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NorthEast - Topps Burger Recall!

BigBarry

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
FYI NE Brethren:

ALBANY, N.Y. - A meat company is voluntarily recalling some of its hamburgers after a cluster of illnesses in the Northeast caused by E. coli bacteria, officials said Tuesday.

At least six people have fallen ill in New York, and three were hospitalized, officials said. All are recovering, the state Health Department said.
The recall affects boxes of frozen hamburgers distributed by Elizabeth, N.J.-based Topps Meat Co. Contaminated burgers were found in one victim's home freezer by health officials, said agency spokeswoman Claudia Hutton.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070926/ap_on_re_us/beef_recall;_ylt=ApiATRHYpLLc3P9wUkY2A7Ss0NUE

Thanks Barry! I missed that one!
Watch that burger guys, unless you grind your own from steak!

Are those the crappy burgers in the red box ?

I usually stay away from boxed burgers for fear of poor quality.. but Bubba Burgers are decent.

I also like the Coleman All Natural burgers that Trader Joe sells along with the frozen bison burgers...

The article says the burgers were frozen. How cold does it have to be to kill e-coli or is it that resiliant?

The article says the burgers were frozen. How cold does it have to be to kill e-coli or is it that resiliant?

I don't think you will kill it at normal cooler or freezer temps. You just stop it from multiplying. Then cook it to kill it.

IIRC, e-coli might be killed by freezing, but it has to be some obnoxiously cold temperature for something like four weeks.
Don't quote me on it.

IIRC, e-coli might be killed by freezing, but it has to be some obnoxiously cold temperature for something like four weeks.
Don't quote me on it.

I know some jerky making guidelines I have read say to freeze game meat for four weeks before making the jerky. I don't remember specificaly what it is supposed to kill.

Just some more proof about the American Standard of using cheap labor that doesn't really give a crap about anything except where is my paycheck, and management that all they watch is the bottom dollar sign on the balance sheet on how much money they made that month.

I have worked the production industry for years. And all they look at is how much production they have a month, and how much money they made. I have even seen inspectors mark parts as bad, and management tell them to mix them in with good parts and ship them out.

My $0.02 worth....

Bill

Hey Grump, nice to see you ditch Steve's place. That site turned into a bone yard. Anyway, if you work in a packing house you would know. The only thing that bothers me is that, I heard there closing down Topps. Man, I don't want bad beef but I also hate to see that co. close down.

Just saw it on the news tonight. Topps has gone out of business. They announced it to their 80 employees today that they were out of work.

Yep, closed, out of biz.

Not to worry, they will be back next month under a different name. That way they can elude any lawsuits. Just another way to bail out and not pay fines, etc., and come back good as new and start all over again.

Just remember, only in America can you do this..... owe millions $$$$, close down, and start back up under a new name and not owe anything.... What a way to run a business.

Back