Experimenting with pineapple juice

R

Rolltide87

As we all know, raw pineapple juice is a super efficient tenderizer, sometimes too efficient. We also know that brisket is super tough. So combing the two seems like a reasonable idea to me. The question is how to do it. My thoughts are 1. Inject the brisket at the beginning (I'm working with a smaller, deckle-off cut), and run the risk of it turning to mush. I'm aware that the enzyme in pineapple that makes it so potent stops being effective around 150 degrees, so it's possible that the enzyme won't be raised to an ineffective temp fast enough which leads me to 2. Inject when the meat temp has risen to say 100 degrees (and preheat the p-juice). My concern with this is potentially drying out the meat via poking around in it.

Any thoughts on this approach?

The only experimenting with pineapple juice I've done was on NYE a few days ago when I mixed with ice and Malibu Rum and drank it. It sure was GOOD but I don't think it did anything to tenderize my meat.

:shock:

On a serious note, I would think that PJ would compliment pork better than brisket, but I really have no idea. I'm with outnumbered and am also intrigued.

I suggest searching for brother Knucklhed BBQ's thread where used tenderizer on brisket. He may have some advice on the subject, lessons learned, so to say.:thumb:

I have not used it on a brisket, but I have injected fresh pineapple juice in pork butts.

Use it with moderation on pork butts because too much can throw the flavor off when the pineapple juice cooks inside the meat.

When using raw pineapple juice with beef in this way, I haven't found much actual pineapple flavor imparted. I have with ribs, though I basically coated a rack with pineapple slush for 3 hrs.

I'm with Blu on this, you need pineapple injected/brine on brisket like you need a a$$H&%# on your forearm!:heh: You just don't need that on brisket. Just keep cooking brisket, 2 -3 times a month for a year you'll get it tender and be consistent at it to:shock:, also please don't inject apple juice either into beef after you try this fruit cocktail experiment. Now pork go for it, pina colada that chit!

Only beer for beef in my house (so far as basting goes), no apple here.

I had a friend whose comp team made appetizers of boneless chicken breasts stuffed with cheese, ham & japalenos, wrapped with bacon, and marinated overnight in pineapple juice. They were the schnizzle for keeping people at bay waiting for the brisket to get done. I like pretty much everything with pineapple, but it seems better suited to pork than brisket IMHO.

I have used pineapple juice with other citrus for marinating fajita meat. Works well in that application.

I know how to cook a brisket and get it tender as a mothers love and as Juicy as a cheerleader with a case of the hot pants. Frankly the thoughts of a smoky pineapple flavored brisket I find repulsive.:twitch::yuck:
great point, especially about the cheerleader..cook your brisket with love and it will always be tender..properly cooked also requires NO foil..

I may be wrong, but if you use canned juice, I don't know if you still get the tenderizer action. The enzymes may beinactivated by the heat f the canning/pasteurization process. I think the tenderizing action only comes from using raw pineapple or its juice.

I may be wrong, but if you use canned juice, I don't know if you still get the tenderizer action. The enzymes may beinactivated by the heat f the canning/pasteurization process. I think the tenderizing action only comes from using raw pineapple or its juice.

What he said!

Also, there are folks on the WWW that will declare that their way is the only way.
If that were true, there would never have been any progress in BBQ.
Improvements come from folks who are open minded and willing to experiment, even when others blast their ideas.

So--go ahead and try it if you wish.

I would be interested to see the results.

TIM

The only experimenting with pineapple juice I've done was on NYE a few days ago when I mixed with ice and Malibu Rum and drank it. It sure was GOOD but I don't think it did anything to tenderize my meat.

I believe that is called a "poor man's pina-colada" (seriously, not making that up or trying to be humorous).

With regards to the brisket experiment, people use pineapple a lot of the time making teriyaki beef dishes, so why not brisket? My only concern would be the same as injecting with a papain tenderizer (which has been brought up before) and that is, you don't want to end up with mush. Maybe in a hot and fast application to lessen the time for the enzymes to work? As has been said, go for it and please report back afterwards, it's your meal and your money, so give it a shot!

My partner is from Hawaii and he uses lots of pineapple.
He uses it in all kinds of pork smokes, some Chicken too.
I've never had it in Beef, just in Butts and Hams.
Kind of an Islander taste. Different, but good.

I second the idea of mixing Pineapple, Coconut milk, and '151'. Very good.
(Ya gotta do something while the meat's smoking)

You could also simply use a diluted mixture of Bromelain, which is the enzyme in the pineapple that causes the tenderizing. It is quite available online and is used in many of the available meat tenderizers you would get at the grocery store. This way you don't get the pineapple flavor...

I would try injecting immediately before smoking. For more information on Bromelain see below.

bromelain, a natural mixture of two proteases (protein-digesting enzymes) found in pineapples. They discovered that bromelain is quite effective at dividing proteins such as the collagen in meat.
Although bromelain is found in every part of the pineapple, it's most plentiful in the stem. Most commercially grown pineapple is sliced, canned or juiced. The remains are rich with this corrosive substance, which is then extracted.
Bromelain works in these capacities due to its ability to separate amino acids. Amino acids are organic compounds within living cells. Amino acids join by forming peptide bonds, a link that connects one amino acid's amino group with the carboxyl group of another amino acid. When amino acids join through peptide bonds, they form proteins. These proteins then carry out numerous functions in the structure and operation of cells, tissues and organs.
The compound separates the all-important peptide bonds that link the proteins in collagen. Since the collagen gives the muscle tissue its shape, once it's broken down, the muscle tissue begins losing firmness. If you left meat for a day or two covered with bromelain, it would be noticeably mushy, so much so that you wouldn't want to eat it. When used shortly before cooking, however, bromelain efficiently softens the steak for chewing, but leaves it firm enough to enjoy its taste. The enzymes are neutralized by heat of about 158 degrees Fahrenheit (70 degrees Celsius), so they stop working once cooked.

Back