Jackfruit Pulled 'Pork'

A bunch of the local markets sell jackfruit and I've wanted to try it but I've always just been too lazy to get one and make it

Char-bar sells a jack fruit sandwich and its really good. never tried to cook it myself.

I've tried making it twice, in my mind it came out horrible. The veterinarians said it wasn't bad. I used the canned green jackfruit packed in water.

The veterinarians said it wasn't bad.

one - spell check can give some funny results.

two- "wasn't bad" is a hell of a long way from "good"

I have never heard of Jackfruit but then I am not a vegan What is it

It is a fruit that is typically used in savory dishes.

sweet-jackfruit-pieces-today-stock-inline-170111_161effb635290b78dbc9fe142a9c1463.today-inline-large.jpg

Curried Jackfruit, aka "Chataigne" in my wife's native Trinidad, is awesome. In the picture below it is in the forefront with what looks like curry long bean (bodi) behind, and buss up shut in the back to eat it with.

curry-chataigne-2.png

Good stuff

The veterinarians said it wasn't bad.

one - spell check can give some funny results.

two- "wasn't bad" is a hell of a long way from "good"

one - That's what I call them. :becky:

two - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a friend who went to a plant-based diet, I've tried a few things to treat him with for a BBQ and one of these was pulled pork substitute based on Jackfruit. I found a recipe online and, from a visual perspective, it was a dead on ringer for pulled pork. It lacked the flavor and texture that folks on this site have come to expect. That said, I know my plant-based friend is more about finding plant-based things that taste good and I imagine I would've been much more happy with the dish if I had gone in expecting some BBQ'd plant-based thing than a replacement for pulled pork. It was okay and probably pretty good if you come in blank, but it's no substitute for pulled pork IMO.

I have to say...most anyone who has a stereotypical attitude against plant-based diets has never had veggies cooked in other cultures. Seriously...when done right you don't miss meat...at least for a few meals.

I've had it and it's fine for what it is. I didn't buy it so don't know if it's worth the money.

All I can say is it's sticky. :becky: Oil is your friend.

sIr9fRkh.jpg

sIr9fRkh.jpg

You neglect to mention that fresh ones in addition to being sticky also have a certain odor that's hard to forget when you cut into them! :shocked:

sIr9fRkh.jpg

It took me about 5 minutes to figure out that that's not floating. The shadow lined up perfectly and I was studying it hard to see if it was sitting on some sort of glass or something.

I have to say...most anyone who has a stereotypical attitude against plant-based diets has never had veggies cooked in other cultures. Seriously...when done right you don't miss meat...at least for a few meals.

Im not against vegetarian meals but way the faux meat crap? Stop trying to make veggied taste like meat, they taste fine being what they are......meats food.

Back