1st Brisket on the WSM

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Okay, so I had 12 -15 people to feed yesterday after church. I am getting tired of pulled pork so I decided to step up to the big leagues - Brisket! Picked up a 10# packer on sale at HEB. Trimmed, rubbed, and injected with Cajun Injector's mesquite bbq marinade (Christmas gift from my kids). Threw it on the WSM at 8:30 Saturday morning with the IQUE set for 260. Foiled at 170 (hey, if it's good enough for Aaron, who am I to argue?). At 3:00, the IT probe read 200 in the flat. Checked with Thermapen, point was pure butter, but the flat had some spots that didn't feel ready. At 3:30. IT read 206 and everything probed good. Coolered for an hour, then unwrapped, tented for an hour until IT read 180. Rewrapped and refrigerated until Sunday morning at 11:00 when it went into oven set at 230 while I worked the sound board at church. When I opened it and started to slice, the end two inches were stringy, wouldn't stay together. Just when I thought we were going to have pulled beef, it started to slice okay, although I had to go with a bit thicker than I wanted. Point was melty goodness, flat just a tad dry to me. Only 7 hours at 260 -275, how did it get dry? Everybody loved it and the chickens and ribs (6 hours on the offset) were pretty much perfect. They stood in line for leftovers to take home. Guess it was okay, but...

When you put it in the oven did it have lots of juice I have never used your injection Maybe you should have let it cool more before the fridge I put mine in food saver bags freeze and put the bag in boiling water to heat up It could be put in the bag and not frozen too. Does not seem to dry out this way

I didn't cut it before I put it in the oven to rewarm, hoping to keep the juices inside. I put half a can of beef broth in the pan with it and wrapped the pan with foil. 90 minutes at 230 and it was nice and warm (not real hot) when it came out.

Sounds a tad overcooked. Try putting some liquid in the foil next time when you wrap it and leave the liquid in the foil while it is resting.

You may have overcooked it. When my brisket probes tender I pull it and let it vent out in the open for 10-15 minutes. This will help it lose excess heat and stop/slow down cooking.

And somtimes briskets are just dry... not enough marbling to work with. Injections don't guarantee squat...

If the slices aren't holding together it's over cooked ( for the record AF don't use af) Since you where going to reheat I wold have pulled it the first time I hit butter, let it rest until the temp dropped to 145 then iced it down. It wold have finished to perfection on the reheat.

( for the record AF don't use af) .

Yeah, I know, but I didn't have any butcher paper and I figure it's the principle of wrap or don't wrap that we're debating here. I figure it's not that bad for a first run, but it's not up the the standards that Brethren aspire to. BTW, I had some leftovers for dinner last night and it seems to be much better after sitting in the fridge overnight. Chunks of point just melt in yout mouth. Learning how to carve the point may have been the best thing in that AF video. That piece he called the ribeye of the brisket is superb.

Yeah, I know, but I didn't have any butcher paper and I figure it's the principle of wrap or don't wrap that we're debating here. I figure it's not that bad for a first run, but it's not up the the standards that Brethren aspire to. BTW, I had some leftovers for dinner last night and it seems to be much better after sitting in the fridge overnight. Chunks of point just melt in yout mouth. Learning how to carve the point may have been the best thing in that AF video. That piece he called the ribeye of the brisket is superb.
The refrigerator Fairy is a miracle worker, :biggrin1: There is a quatiy difference that is achieved with BP that you can not get with foil, Get you some and thank me later.

Does that work with ribs, as well? I have been getting great results with foil on spares, but never wrapped a brisket before. Probably should have just let the thing go and not bothered with wrapping at all. What type BP should I buy? I'd like to give it a try before I go to Sam's & buy a mile of the stuff.

I don't ever wrap my ribs there is no need to that is designed for all those comp cooks and the BBQ beauty pageants and folks that lack patience. Go hit up a Mex meat market/grocery and ask for a few feet. You don't want the stuff with Sizing on it( Shiny sided) or buy a roll of Parchment paper, your bride can use it to bake cookies too. Go to HEB and P/U some yard leaf bags( big paper sacks) they are around the plastic bags & trash bags section, there is 3 layers per bag cut off the bottom and cut down one side separate the sheets and cut them in 1/2. you have enough for 6 packers from 1 bag there is 6 bags in a pkg. for like 3.00

Back