Used Kamado Joe with Hair line fracture

B

Big Green Horn

Im contemplating buying a used large Kamado Joe off Craigslist but apparently it has a hair line fracture in the dome. Do y'all who know about ceramic smokers think this will affect the ability to hold temperaturesook properly? Apparently it also comes with a replacement dome (I have no idea how easy or hard it is to replace the dome).

Lastly, do you think I should just buy the original, BGE instead of "substitutes"?

Thanks for the help - going to look at it Saturday so need help stat!

I don't own a ceramic cooker but from all I've read about them, I don't think that fracture will affect anything. It's nice that it's coming with a replacement dome. As far as getting the BGE instead, it all depends on what kind of deal you are getting for this kamado joe. I've seen a ceramic knockoff at Sam's recently, it was $499, but it looked poorly made. I also happened to see a cypress ceramic cooker tonight at Lowe's. It was $699 and was much better in terms of quality compared to the Sam's cooker, perhaps on par to the BGE.

I thought most of the non BGE ceramic cookers had this problem? I thought they were all thinner and made with inferior materials.

I think it comes down to price and risk.
All ceramics are going to fail at some point.
If you are in atlanta i would go to the eggfest, grab a demo and have the lifetime warranty.
jon

Im getting it (Large Kamado Joe) for $500, with a replacement dome and a stand. 2-3 yrs old. Are the demos at the Eggfest a good deal?

It seems the seller has probably used the warranty to get a new dome. If you buy this I would bet the warranty does not transfer to you and if something else cracks you will have to replace it out of pocket.

Replacing the dome is a one wrench two beer type of job, though. Real easy

Try and negotiate down flash him 4 bills and see if he can resist.

Back