First time smoker

S

stryker121201

Well guys, I bought my very first smoker the other day. It is a Master Forge 2-door from Lowes. Got it seasoned up and just put 2 butts in with some apple wood. Hopefully I don't screw em up too bad.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks and i'm glad to be here.

Congrats on the new smoker. I'm not familiar with that unit, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly with some tips!

And welcome to the forum!

Welcome to your new obsession! Lots of great info here to help you along. As far as butts go you smoke those until that blade bone starts to wiggle lose from the meat. Generally an IT of 195-205. You could wrap it in foil after about 4-6 hours of good smoke if you want. Makes the cook go a little faster and retains more moisture. Or not wrap it at all and get some killer bark! Butts are great to learn on as they are very forgiving. Good luck.

Use the force, Luke -- I mean--- Learn your smoker, Stryker! You could not have chosen a better cut to cut your teeth on - butts are soooo forgiving. Your mission now is to figure out how to control temps. In fishing they call it 'time on the water' - no less true with Q.

Charcoal or Gas ? What does it have in firebox ? Bowl ? Grate ? You want the ash to be able to fall so it won't choke down the fire or burn. So if it's a bowl drill 3/8" -1/2" holes all over it.

Started with the electric smoker a little over a year ago and now smokin like crazy with my Green mountain grill on what ever is on sale for the week and learning something new each time. The neighbors love it. Welcome to the Love

If I'm correct I have the masterbuilt version of your smoker, mines a two door and can be either gas or charcoal. It's a decent starter smoker and I've made really tasty Q on it. For starters your temperature gauge is probably way off... Mine runs 30* hotter than it says. I use mine with charcoal and hickory chunks only, so I've actually taken all the gas stuff off of it. I replaced the charcoal basket with a grill wok since it's a little but larger than the original basket. I've found the best way to get a "long" burn is fill the basket 3/4 full of charcoal and chunks, then put less than 1/4 chimney of lit coals on one side. Doing that I could get about two hours of smoking. I also put the water pan on the lowest place in the cook chamber, this raised it up a few inches, mine always seemed to boil the water cause the pan was soo close to the fire. My doors leaked like a mother trucker, but I haven't fixed that yet. In all honestly if I would have found this place before I bought that smoker I would have built a uds instead of getting that one. But it's not a bad entry level smoker, just prepare yourself to become totally addicted, and wanting to go bigger very soon!!! Good luck and post pics!!

Congrats on the new toy, welcome to your first steps into the world of addiction, and since it is your first cook; I would rub them good - those butts like a good massage, give them a haircut, smoke them for 6 hours @ 250ish then wrap until 190 is reached. Pour juices off into nice pot and place onto smoker until 205 is reached. While the butt is taking its time add some butter and a bit of sugar, spice and apple juice to that juice and cook down a bit. Cut it with vinegar and cook a few more min. Then when done place on the side to cool a bit. Shred up pork and add sauce liberally. Eat with fingers and remember not to bite them off or your .......

Good luck and have fun, I'm drunk rambling.

Back