• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Boil in Food Saver bags to reheat food?

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
Does anyone reheat frozen foods that have been sealed in Food Saver plastic? I have some BBQ sides that I want to warm up. I was thinking that I could drop it in some boiling water until it was hot. Will the bag hold up to the heat?

I have had mixed results with some Food Saver brand bags splitting in boiling water. What a mess. What I do now is fill a pot with very hot tap water and immerse the bag in it. I might change out the water two or three times depending on if the bag was frozen. This will get your food hot enough to serve or at least close enough for a real quick nuke.

I do it, but I always place a towel in the bottom of the pan of water. Never had a bad result to date. I also don't bring it to a full boil, more like a scald.

Like jazzybadger said, it should not be a full boil. That being said, it just takes too darn long. I normally microwave my freezer bags (cut off a corner to vent)..

put 'em in the crock pot and cover with water or in a cake pan with hot water in a 250 oven

I do it often... particularly with ribs. I keep the temperature below boiling and try to keep the plastic from touching the sides/bottom of the hot pan. If I have time, I'll drop the package in the Sous Vide Supreme with the temp set at 180°

Microwave works well, too. Read where one (pricy) restaurant cooks asparagus and other veggies Sous Vide, freezes then nukes them as needed.

I heat the bags in a pot of hot water, not boiling. It takes about 20-30 minutes for the food to reach 165*. I have never had any problems doing this, I use Foodsaver brand bags.

Always "gently" boil them. Done it literally hundreds of times. Never once had a problem. Takes about 20 minutes from solid frozen Tastes like you just pulled it off the grill. No idea why most of you have had problems??

I used Weston bags, they are thicker and can take full rolling boils when forgotten about.

Weston bags are made from polyethylene glycol and nylon, and don’t contain BPA, phthalates, or other plasticizers with EA-leaching additives.

I've had a couple of bags open at the seam while boiling. Pulled pork "soup" was not my goal. I read somewhere that the seals are only rated to 180 degrees and since keeping the water temps below 180 I've had no problems with the seals.

This is the first I've read of busted seams in like 4 years of reading. I didn't realize it was a problem. I've done it hundreds of times and never had an issue. I've never really paid attention to the level of boiling. I have even on several occasions thrown the complete frozen bag in the water and let it come up to boil, then boil another five minutes or so and it is great.

My bags aren't stuff to the seems though. Usually plenty of room. I don't know if this is the difference? I also use the generic bags, from the which website is currently the cheapest (rotates). Maybe this is the difference?

Anyway, I do find that boil in bag results in the best reheating results. I wouldn't let the odds of one bag failing every so often persuade you to try other less good methods. Just always have a freezer full, and you'll be fine. :-D

This is the first I've read of busted seams in like 4 years of reading. I didn't realize it was a problem. I've done it hundreds of times and never had an issue. I've never really paid attention to the level of boiling. I have even on several occasions thrown the complete frozen bag in the water and let it come up to boil, then boil another five minutes or so and it is great.

My bags aren't stuff to the seems though. Usually plenty of room. I don't know if this is the difference? I also use the generic bags, from the which website is currently the cheapest (rotates). Maybe this is the difference?

Anyway, I do find that boil in bag results in the best reheating results. I wouldn't let the odds of one bag failing every so often persuade you to try other less good methods. Just always have a freezer full, and you'll be fine. :-D

I have never had a problem either. I use Vacmaster bags with my old Foodsaver.

Personally I don't like cooking in plastic, even if just to "warm up". I thaw the food out first in cold water, then remove from plastic bag and put in a foil pouch and into the toaster oven it goes at 250* until heated. Comes out great and I'm not potentially eating plasticizers.

If your bags are coming open it is probably due to air in the bag or it already had a hole in it when you put it in the water.

I too use this method quite a bit. The only time I don't is if I'm taking something to work for lunch, then I let it thaw and nuke it. Not nearly as good, though.

Back