removing skin from pork belly. (help)

chriscw81

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So i've been getting my pork belly for bacon with the skin on and i'm not very good at removing the skin without hacking the belly all up. any brethren out there have any tips or tricks to get the skin off without messing up the belly or removing much fat? i've been looking for videos and pictures online and cant find much. is there a certain type of knife that works best. maybe a certain method?

i havent had any home cured bacon in about 2 or 3 weeks and im going through withdrawals :sick:

edit: i should have mentioned i like to cure my bellies with the skin off rather than curing with the skin on. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
can anyone tell what kind of knife is being used in this video? it seems like a knife with a rounded cutting edge would work better......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsdqRjI5OAE"]Butchery demo at A.I. - YouTube[/ame]

I take mine off after smoking it while it's still warm and it just pulls right off. Just start one corner with a knife then using your hand pull it off in one sheet.

i guess i should have mentioned that i prefer to remove the skin before i cure the belly. i usually buy belly with the skin already removed but it hasnt been available like that lately.

I use a fillet knife and a whole lot of patience. I try to find a corner that is loose as an easy starting point and grab it with a paper towel, pull back lightly and use a bunch of small cuts to slowly work the skin off of the fat layer.

I recently haven't found enough patience enough to do it, so I've been curing and smoking them skin on...they are easy to remove after smoking. They are even easy to remove (similar to tearing the membrane off of a rack of ribs) if they've fully cooled after smoking.

Using a skinning knife works best. The one in the video is a bit different, but this one is a good knife:
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...nox®+Cutlery+Microban®+6"+Skinner/F46536.html

The skin is rather tough, so you are running your knife right up against it. It is mostly a "feel" thing... practice will help. Cutting the little finger holes like in the video works great.

i guess i need to get myself a skinning knife. what are your thoughts on using a butcher knife like this one?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-S112-6-Dexter-Russell-Butcher-Knife/dp/B000LDFPK6"]Dexter-Russell S112-6 Butcher Knife - Amazon.com[/ame]

do you think the skinner knife would really work a lot better than a butcher knife with a curved edge? i ask because i have a $50 gift certificate to cabelas that i could use but they only have the butcher knife. thanks for help, by the way

I take mine off after smoking it while it's still warm and it just pulls right off. Just start one corner with a knife then using your hand pull it off in one sheet.

i guess i should have mentioned that i prefer to remove the skin before i cure the belly. i usually buy belly with the skin already removed but it hasnt been available like that lately.

Ahhh copy that!

Others have given you good advise.

In the video the first knife is a straight boning or 'fillet' knife. The next one is a 7 inch curved boning knife. That's what I use. I have never seen a belly skin come off that easy. Trick photography ?

I'm with others: patience and a SHARP knife will get it done. Keep the blade going towards the skin, too. Like you do when you filet a fish. Good luck. I've got to order some pork belly soon!

Back