What's your favorite pot o' beans/meal in a pot recipe?

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
When I'm broke or have bunch of leftovers I usually like to make a big ol' pot of beans that can work as a whole meal when served over rice. I usually just do standard seasoned pintos, onion and bell pepper and drop in whatever leftover meat I have on hand. However, I think my roommates are standing to get a little tired of it as I do this usually twice a month. I need to mix it up and I'm looking for some inspiration.

Does anyone do anything unique or interesting with beans? It needs to be something satisfying enough to to act as a whole meal. I always have pinto, kidney and black beans on hand. Thanks!

Tell your roomates to kick in enough money or the beans will continue.

My go to, of course, is chili made with leftover meats. There is also a sweet Cincinatti style chile thingy you could do. My go to is really a beany Brunswick stew variation, that had chopped canned tomatoes (cheap) and canned or frozen corn (cheap) and frozen beans (cheap). It goes great over rice, alone or with pasta shapes as well.

I wish I could suggest something unusual. However , navy beens with hamhocks is unbeatable in my opiunion. Navy beans = great northern in most cases.:becky:

Try some black-eyed peas...a bit of a change of pace taste wise. Here's how I do mine.

Black-Eyed Peas

2 – 3 T corn oil
2 large yellow onions - chopped
4 oz. roasted green peppers (used Big Jims)
3 T minced garlic
16 oz. dry black-eyed peas – soaked overnight
3 smoked ham hocks

2 T chili powder (Hatch mild)
1 T cumin
2 T dried Mexican oregano

6 cups homemade chicken stock

~3 cups smoked ham (14 oz) – chopped

12 oz. fresh green beans

Add the ham after the the peas have cooked for a bit, then add the green beans maybe half an hour before you're ready to eat.

Look for the goya brand of different rices. They even have one with dehydrated seafood that is quite tasty and cheap!

Jeff

BTW, most have beans in them

I do this with regular cans of baked beans but I bet it would work with pintos. You could break this down to your cooking size, when I make this, its for a group.

1gal baked beans
1lb JD sage sausage cooked (smoked is better) and crumbled
1lb of bacon cooked and crumbled
1lb of ground beef cooked and crumbled
1 bell pepper fine dice
1 large onion fine dice
1 poblano pepper fine dice
2 jalapenos seeded, deveined, fine dice
6 or 7 cloves garlic minced, or two heaping tsp of the crushed stuff in a jar
a squirt of yellow mustard
a squirt of BBQ sauce (I use Jack Daniels sauce for this)
Combine all the ingredients into a baking pan big enough for it all, none of the veggies get pre cooked, they go in raw. Either throw the pan on the smoker, or in the oven at 350 for a couple hours foiled for maybe half, then take the foil off and sample, add more mustard or BBQ sauce for taste, then back in unfoiled. However, I bet throwing this in a pot on the burner for a while would work too. lid on for a while, then off.

Notice I did not say salt or pepper. You could use em but I think it tastes fine without.

You guys are laughing at jesteridge's "chili without the meat" comment, but it's actually what inspired me the most tonight. My beans are simmering as we speak.

Anyways, I re-hydrated 6 New Mexico chiles, pureed, then strained out the skin and seeds. Added that mixture to about 8 cups water, 1/2 lb each black & pinto beans, a ham hock, tomato paste, onion, bell pepper, cumin, Mexican oregano, a whole lot of garlic and some hominy for good measure. I also have some homemade biscuits prepared and ready for the oven when the beans get done.

Two cans of black beans, one can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis, and one small can of corn. Add salt and pepper or other spices to satisfy your personal taste, and you have some good eats. Add some leftover diced ham, sausage or other pork product, and you have even better eats.

When my finances are tight, beans are my go-to food. The fact that they are also healthy is a bonus.

CD

You guys are laughing at jesteridge's "chili without the meat" comment, but it's actually what inspired me the most tonight. My beans are simmering as we speak.

Anyways, I re-hydrated 6 New Mexico chiles, pureed, then strained out the skin and seeds. Added that mixture to about 8 cups water, 1/2 lb each black & pinto beans, a ham hock, tomato paste, onion, bell pepper, cumin, Mexican oregano, a whole lot of garlic and some hominy for good measure. I also have some homemade biscuits prepared and ready for the oven when the beans get done.

I agree. I love chili. But, I am not a chili snob. I have had some vegetarian chili that was rock solid. I'm talking two full bowls full of rock solid.

I have no problem with a meal based on beans.

CD

Surprised no one suggest Keri's hog apple beans...

I'm a big fan of Keri's hog apple beans, but it's too sweet for me to make a meal out of.

I agree. I love chili. But, I am not a chili snob. I have had some vegetarian chili that was rock solid. I'm talking two full bowls full of rock solid.

I have no problem with a meal based on beans.

CD

I'm no chili snob either. In fact last week I made a pot of chli that... **gasp**... vegan! :eek: It was basically bean chili again with a bunch of other goodies. I made it to accommodate some guests my roommates and I had over and it was actually very delicious.

Oh yeah, I should say I don't consider what I'm making tonight to be chili, just kind of inspired by chili... I guess. :loco:

I made brunswick stew this fall with leftovers from the previous day's bbq. My friends still hound my a@@ every weekend to make it on Sundays. The problem is I usually don't have any leftover BBQ. BBQ is traditionally a CHEAP cut of meat cooked until tender. Buy the cheapest/toughest piece of crap you can get and either bbq it or braise it and add your starch. If they are getting tired of beans, switch to lentils (super cheap) use a nice stock and that ham hock, another meal for pennys. BTW if you are that hard-up for cash and have access to a slingshot, bb gun or any other weapon; go kill a rabbit, squirrel, quail, pigeon or any other protein you can get close to and bbq that sucker.

"Ham and Beans",is one of my favorites........Its very simple.

1 bag of Northern Beans (soak them over night or soak in the morning til cook time)
1 left over ham bone (if meaty) or ham shank/hock and (extra-any left over ham or pork)

-Boil the ham bone or ham hock/shank on medium/high for about 1 hour.
-Take shank out of pot and remove the meat off of it (do not pour the water out)
-Drain the soaked beans and add the beans and meat to the pot.
-Let cook on medium until the beans are tender.(Make sure to stir often so beans dont stick and if they do dont scrape them up)
-Salt and pepper up
-And time to eat:becky:

Also great with corn bread and collard greens

Back