Hog House Barbeque coming to Merrick, LI

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
On my way grocery shopping this morning I noticed a "Coming Soon- Hog House Barbeque" sign on a storefront on Merrick Ave (two blocks north of Sunrise Highway on left side where BD Cools fish store was... About two doors down from where RS Jones was that is supposed to have barbeque as well...but is more like Southwestern food.

I am assuming it's the same people as the one in Huntington... If it is, it's not good and I won't be going here.. Went to the one in Hungtinton for lunch about two months ago... Average at best... Decent food, but would not classify the brisket or ribs I had as good barbeque...

http://www.hoghousebarbecue.com/

Last edited:
not a heck of alot of parking in that neighborhood if i recollect.. last time we ate at RS jones we parked down the side street.. don't imagine it'll sit too well with those folks having another resturant nearby.

OK I said I wasn't going to go... but I went... The $10 off coupon if you order $40+ I received in the mail enticed me enough to go.

I got a full rack of spares, pulled pork sandwich, sides of mac & cheese, mashed sweet potatoes, beans and corn on the cob

Ribs: No smoke flavor or crusty texture, but cooked to the decent tenderness.. What turned me off the most was when I opened the foil, there was a bright orange/red sauce pooled all on top of the rack. It looked like someone opened a small can of tomato sauce and poured it on.. Very tomato/ketchup flavored. I wiped it off and gave it a coating of Head Country Hot BBQ Sauce.

Pulled pork - decent. a little overly sauced. On on of those artsian bread rolls with lots of flour on it. Served with fresh made sliced sweet potato chips, cole slaw & pickle on the side

Beans - Seem like they might use this for their chili also. I was glad to see it was not doctored up beans out of a can. Three types of beans. Average.

Mac & Cheese - Large shells in a creamy sauce. Average.

Mashed Sweet potato - Not bad.. Nice mix of puree & large chunks.

It was 7PM when I got there. Not crowded. Two tables out of 5 or 6 being served at. And I was the only person in there for takeout.

I would not go back... Man, I wish Willie B's was closer to my house.

Last edited:
you can have all that and Huntington for 500k with 130k down and he'll be nice enough to hold a note on the rest.
I would'nt give him 130k for both with no money down.

They've got really weird days and hours of operation too....

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Huntington Location:
Open Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 4pm til 10pm
Saturday & Sunday 3pm til 10pm
Closed Monday & Tuesday
[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Merrick Location:
Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 4pm til 10pm
Saturday & Sunday 3pm til 10pm
Closed Tuesday
[/FONT]

you can have all that and Huntington for 500k with 130k down and he'll be nice enough to hold a note on the rest.
I would'nt give him 130k for both with no money down.

Hey Willie,

What's wrong with Huntington? Aside from the fact that it is about a 20 minute drive to your store. I can forget the meat, but never the sauce.

I have tried both the Huntington and Merrick locations and I was not impressed with the food a all. The ribs were acceptable and the bbq sauce was ketchupy(sp) not a good taste at all. The beans as I recall were taseless,cole slaw was ok, wings were average. I will not be going back, with all the places openning on the south shore in Nassau Cty I will go elsewhere.

Hey Willie,

What's wrong with Huntington? Aside from the fact that it is about a 20 minute drive to your store. I can forget the meat, but never the sauce.

nothing wrong with huntington i was saying you could have hog House locals in Huntington for that price

Drove by this morning..

Not 100% sure or trying to spread false info, but it looked like this place may be closed permanently (unless they are just closed for the holiday week).

The usual sign in the window with hours of operation were not there and there was some type of white paper covering the majority of the window and door. It did not say closed or out of business but it did say visit the other location in huntington.

I'll try to pass by again later in the week.

Drove by this morning..

Not 100% sure or trying to spread false info, but it looked like this place may be closed permanently (unless they are just closed for the holiday week).

The usual sign in the window with hours of operation were not there and there was some type of white paper covering the majority of the window and door. It did not say closed or out of business but it did say visit the other location in huntington.

I'll try to pass by again later in the week.

scuttlebut has it the merrick location's been sold...

Are you really taking the place over ?

If so, are the beat up, late 70's style, pink station wagons included ?

Last edited:
Back