Cooking Rib Tips - Question

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I trimmed 3 racks this morning St. Louis style. This left me with the rib tips from each rack. I have not cut them into pieces yet.

It seems to me that since the rib tips are not uniform in thickness - one end is flap meat and the other end is bone/cartilage, that it won't cook evenly if I left it all as one piece.

I'm wondering how most of you cook the tips. Do you cut them into pieces or leave it the length of the rack and then cut it later?

Does anyone have a master technique for rib tips they can share with me?

Thanks!

I usually cook them along with the ribs and graze on them while the ribs are finishing since they're normally done earlier. I also like to cut them up and put them in my beans. But I just cook them the same way that I do the ribs primarily.

I just throw them on and cook until tender. They are either snacks or the meat goes into beans.

I just throw them on and cook until tender. They are either snacks or the meat goes into beans.

^Yep. Depends on just how thick they are, but I'll hit them with 1 to 1-1/2 hours on the smoker until they start to loosen up, then put in a foil pan with 50/50 favorite sauce & apple juice, sprinkle with rub, cover and braise in the smoker for another hour or so. My boys like them better than the ribs!

Back