Dr. Chicken Ham questions

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've got to cook a ham for my daughter's wedding.

Story

I want to do Dr. Chicken's recipe but have a couple of questions for those that have done this before.

First Question:
Can I use something other than Amaretto? (No alcohol mod in my home.)

Second Question:
I want to serve the ham as part of a meat platter. Hase anyone served this ham cold or room temp. How does it hold up?

Stress level in the house is rising each day as we attempt to put together a wedding in 28 days. Getting the food situation ironed out will help.

Larry use the almond extract as that is what amaretto really is an almond liqour. We have had this ham room temp before as well as on sandwiches right out of the fridge. Good luck brother!!!

Larry use the almond extract as that is what amaretto really is an almond liqour. We have had this ham room temp before as well as on sandwiches right out of the fridge. Good luck brother!!!
Perfect advise.

light a match to it!:biggrin:

Ham is a great choice Larry. It is easy to cook, and easy to serve. It is one of the few meat IMHO that tastes better at room temp or even chilled. Virtually no chance of getting anyone sick as well. What's the current DEFCON status? :mrgreen:

Larry, here is the label on the Amaretto bottle. Assume it is an almond base product so almond extract should work just as well. I don't know how much extract to use, so maybe one of the brethren will chime in. I am sure you know, but using extracts of anything can be overbearing so the right amount is important. Good luck brother and Happy Thanksgiving to you and you family.

Attachments

• STA_1619.jpg
    STA_1619.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 48
Larry, I just did 10 of these for Thanksgiving. I called Honey Baked Ham and asked what was the best way to do this.

First off, if you don't serve these warm the glaze hardens quite a bit.

Second, HB Ham said to slice, refrigerate, then set out 30 minutes before eating to allow ham to come to room temp. (These were the instructions I inluded with each of my hams). 2 people called me yesterday and said they were the best hams they've ever eaten. So, I think this is the best way to do it.

Third, you can't taste the Amaretto at all and I cut the orange extract in half.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Go to the Coffee section at the grocery store and get a bottle of almond syrup.

Last edited:
Back