• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Select packer or choice flat

I would always go for the packer. At my last contest (Harrisburg, PA, October 2009) I couldn't get a choice packer, so I used a select and got second place.

This is presuming, of course, that the packer is a good size packer.

I've done well with either. If I use a flat, I like the larger flats that still have some of the point attached.

I'm a fan of Choice Brisket, I think it makes for a better turn in any day of the week. So, that being said, I feel it depends if the Flat were the right size or not. If I found an 8# or 9# flat that was nice and thick in choice grade I would be very tempted. If you are faced with this choice very often then I would suggest that you perfect cooking a flat for comps at home. Make sure you keep notes so you can switch out at any time and keep the errors to a minimum. I know quite a few folks who do great cooking flats and they cook in the same time frame as ribs do so a 6:00am wake up works.

... I know quite a few folks who do great cooking flats and they cook in the same time frame as ribs do so a 6:00am wake up works.

That's what we did. Flat went on at 7am for a 4om turn in. One of the best I've cooked as well.

Whichever has the thickest flat. I've seen plenty of packers with a monster point and a piddly little flat. You live and die by your slices.

Cost wise you might be better with a packer too. Sometimes the flats are $1.00 or more per lb. When you consider shrinkage your flat doesn't always leave a lot to work with.

We always go with the packer...I've noticed the flats tend to be trimmed way too much for my liking.

A choice graded packer is what I like for comps...

A select packer, only if I couldnt find any graded as choice....

but have cooked some choice flats, if they were thick.....

If you are gonna invest the time and money into entering a competition, avoid the Select cuts of meat all together. Packers or Flats both work, mostly it is all about the way you cook. The packer will take longer to cook but if you are into trimming all of the fat completely off, you might as well go with the flat.

Always go with Choice or better and you can win with both packer and flat. There have been times where I have just bought the damn packer and sliced of the flat, that is all most butchers do. But when you lose the point, you lose the fat, hence the moisture and the flavor that goes with it. But if you doctor up the brisket after it's cooked then either will work.

If I'm allowed the option of burnt ends, KCBS etc., then a packer. If the burnt ends don't turn out I still have the flat from the packer. That being said....if you show me a beautiful flat, and I have room to cook it.... Having multiple options is a good thing.

Back