International BBQ Initiative Update

drbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just got home from an amazing week in England spreading the BBQ Gospel with many friends old and new. The main purpose of the trip was a festival in Bristol called Grillstock and it was a huge success. Teams from the US (Buttrub.com), Estomnia, England, and some team members from Holland. Judges from the US, England, Scotland, Estonia, and even a Britt living in Egypt. There was representation from "Barbacoa" and "Pitt Cue Boys", two of the hottest BBQ restaurants in London as well as other BBQ stands, caterers, and restaurants from around the country. Big sponsorship from Weber UK, French's UK, Newmans Own UK, Buffalo Trace, and ETI (Thermapens are made in the UK!).
I designed a unique judging system for this unique event and it worked really well. I'm very proud to be a part of Grillstock and I'll see you all there next year!

A side note, someone told me they met Carolyn Wells last week in London at Taste of London. If that's true then maybe the KCBS International Initiative is still happeneing too. They just seem to do it undercover :)
Cheers!

Ray,
Thanks for being a BBQ ambassador with our friends overseas.

What an untapped market!

KCBS would be remiss if the let the opportunity pass by.
Hope springs eternal.

It was a great feast,organisation and facilities were very good!
The BBQ community is growing by the minute.
This year we had our first KCBS sanctioned event in Holland.
Maybe you should come to the Tony Stone event next year Dr.BBQ...I know Sandi will appreciate it!:-D
Probably Byron will be there as well and a couple of English teams you've met.

Fantastic weekend and efforts by everyone involved. As mentioned there were people from all over the BBQ community and food industry taking a huge interest just as in previous years. I fully agree the bug has hit the UK and EU so the possibilities are endless for growth and potential. Over the last few years I've cooked in and around Estonia, Finland, Australia, England plus a small shot in Hong Kong on the way through and see a lot of growth in a short amount of time. My plan next summer is to add Germany, Holland and possibly a stint in Japan with the International team. Not a bad run for the misplaced American. haha

If you remember Ray came over a few months ago and put on the first competition BBQ class in the UK and as far as I know the first full competition class in the EU with great success. I was honored to be asked to lend a hand and proud to be a part of a ground breaking program.

This train is runnin' and not stopping anytime soon. :D

Doc

win9t1.jpg

2ns1kig.jpg

2drl89.jpg

Last edited:
We also have visitors come over from France that are member of the wood fired oven forum.

I look kind of like an English guy there except for the shorts :)

Like my wife says "do as us Britts do wear your sunglasses and carry an umbrella"

I would love to come over next summer and visit the in-laws and compete but I will need to barrow some equipment.

No prob at all. Grillstock has plenty of equipment to loan you.

Sounds great!!!!! I will get more info in the spring. Sounds like Southern Maryland Smokers will cooking a comp in the UK next year!!!!

Back