• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Roots!"[/size]
S221.jpg

Photo from Squidoo Vegetable Charts.

...as chosen by ecode, the winner of the Mini Fowl Throwdown!

Examples would be potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc, anything you have to dig up.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/14 through Sunday 5/23.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 5/23.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 5/24 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 5/28. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Something Stuffed Throwdown until Sunday night 5/16 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Fried Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

You just can't beet this topic. Gonna consult my books to see if I can pull up a recipe!! You can bet I yam looking forward to this one.

Bob

I may Beet around the bush on this one :)

And may use Asparagus ( It's a root plant ) so is the fruit tomato )

Let's get the discussion going......for grins and giggles of course.

Tomatos are not root veggies, but can be used I assume as long as a root vege is the star of the show. Asparagus, this one is a close call.

What about Onions? I can see the bulb part being used, but what about the tops? How bout garlic?

What about greens like in turnip greens? Will the greens count, or must it be the turnip only?

Again, just a friendly stir of the pot!

Bob

Let's get the discussion going......for grins and giggles of course.

Tomatos are not root veggies, but can be used I assume as long as a root vege is the star of the show. Asparagus, this one is a close call.

What about Onions? I can see the bulb part being used, but what about the tops? How bout garlic?

What about greens like in turnip greens? Will the greens count, or must it be the turnip only?

Again, just a friendly stir of the pot!

Bob

I say the star has to be the underground part. The rest can appear but are not allowed to hog the scene.

I think if you take the following two things into consideration, it should really clear up questions good enough for you to enter a dish and for the voters to decide...

1. Rule #1 states "The dish must feature an item that matches the featured category". The word feature is there to indicate that it would be a prominent part of the dish. If people can't see the item, they might not want to vote for it.

2. Ecode's advice to me when she suggested this category was, "How about roots (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, anything you have to dig up)?".

I think if you take the following two things into consideration, it should really clear up questions good enough for you to enter a dish and for the voters to decide...

1. Rule #1 states "The dish must feature an item that matches the featured category". The word feature is there to indicate that it would be a prominent part of the dish. If people can't see the item, they might not want to vote for it.

2. Ecode's advice to me when she suggested this category was, "How about roots (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, anything you have to dig up)?".

Sounds good to me! The operative phrase being "dig up!" I wish my carrots were bigger, they aren't even big enough to be used as baby carrots yet.
I can't wait!!

Bob

I think onions and garlic would count because you have to dig them up. Remember, the category is "Roots", not "Root Veggetables", which would be more limiting. However, it's not "Stalks" either. Ecode can come on here later and correct me if I am not representing her correctly on this.

I think onions and garlic would count because you have to dig them up. Remember, the category is "Roots", not "Root Veggetables", which would be more limiting. However, it's not "Stalks" either. Ecode can come on here later and correct me if I am not representing her correctly on this.

I think we have gotten to the root of it. (Why do I suddenly feel the need to go to the penalty box with that comment?)

So it is written, so shallot be done (Sorry, but it was only a matter of time before that one would leek out)

So the onions could root it self into the prominent ingredient list? And this challenge will be so UP Lifting.

I defently got my roots in cooking rooted veggies.

I'm going to drill a hole in a beet, fill it with sausage gravy and smoke it, then wrap the outside of it with pork sausage like a scotch egg and smoke it some more, then roll it in an egg wash, dip it in flour, deep fry it and serve it on a biscuit.

That, or I'm going to grill a 1" cube of parsnip and a 1" cube of carrot (for color) and serve it with a 24oz porterhouse.

Decisions, decisions.

I trust that this event includes the grilled/smoked requirement? If so, I'll have to investigate my idea for my first throwdown submission. My preference is to fry, but I might be able to oil and grill my root thingy.

I'm going to drill a hole in a beet, fill it with sausage gravy and smoke it, then wrap the outside of it with pork sausage like a scotch egg and smoke it some more, then roll it in an egg wash, dip it in flour, deep fry it and serve it on a biscuit.
Decisions, decisions.

That would be awesome to see! :thumb:
Can you imagine what it would look like cut in half? :hungry:

Back