Chicken Fried Steak...

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Not cue, but it has beef??? Anyways, watched "Throdown" and Bobby challenged Paula, no a Chicken Fried Steak Throwdown... DANG if it didn't look great! With all the fried chicken on the site, and my craving for some steak...well this is what I came up with seasoned, pounded, soaked in butter milk, floured, in the flour I had S & P, Garlic salt. Fried them up, and Walla! Oh man...those were good! My picky eater kids loved them, made some gravy, with the drippings, didn't get too good pics, too hungary we ate at 8:45pm! local...(sons homework kicked my butt!) Only problem I had to change the oil a lot...???but I didn't want to loose all the "YUM YUMS" at the bottom of the pan,....
Oh Yeah, Thanks WLH3, for the NO KNEAD bread recipe! Mixed it up last night, after 20 hrs, put it in a 500* oven and whoa!! some good ole, crusty bread... Did it just like the video said...maybe I'll add some sugar to the bread, the bottom got a little black, do you know why? No probs, just cut it off...enjoy
I picked up a Nikon LS3, haven't read the manual, but I thinks its only a P&S!!:icon_blush: It does get a littly chili here in Hawaii, this was taken on my way to work.

Attachments

• DSCN1561.JPG
    DSCN1561.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN1562.JPG
    DSCN1562.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN1563.JPG
    DSCN1563.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN1564.JPG
    DSCN1564.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN1565.JPG
    DSCN1565.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN1557.JPG
    DSCN1557.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 219
CFS looks great Roy! A bit of mashed potatoes and some white gravy will be the icing on that cake. Dude, I'm hungry now!
The bread looks good.....can I have resipe? Black on the bottom? Maybe try baking it on a stone. Or, lower the temp. some.

Keale,
I must say that looks great! I just had a craving flung on me looking at your photos. And that bread still looks awesome. Wlh3 has a great recipe, don't he? My best guess as to why the bread blackened on the bottom is that you didn't have the rack high enough in the oven...?
Who knows? But, as you said, cut off the black and enjoy just the same.:grin:
One last thing, I have been to your beautiful state twice and loved every minute of it. I am way jealous that you get to live there!:wink:

Looks good. We have it damn near once a week at my house. I love it.!

Looks great - I agree with the mashed potatoes and white gravy, though!

Nothin' better. Down here it's country fried steak. I like to make it with cube steaks. Or at least the sirloin cube steaks. The regular cube steaks are usually too chewy. The local lunch joint cooks one that is the size of a small meatloaf. Man, those things are good.

Looks great!

I do mine a little differently. I'll cut up some top round, dust with flour, seasoned pepper, and a little salt and go to town with a tenderizer (beat the hell out of it) repeat on the second side. The next step is milk, into flour that's seasoned with a little salt and more seasoned pepper, milk, more flour and into the pan. You have the color I'm looking for in your finished product.

CFS, it's what's for dinner tonight. Thanks!

Keepin' it real with the cast iron...nice!!! :eusa_clap

Was gonna burn out a barrel while some chicken plugs away on the trashcan, now...maybe not. Maybe the Misses is on the 'fried food' diet this week...:shock:

I grew up with Chicken (Country) Fried Steak, mashed potatoes and white gravy. What I found interesting is during the Paula Dean Throwdown with Flay she made a brown gravy and then simmered the fried steak in the gravy for a few minutes.

Paula made the statement that the brown gravy was southern as did the judges. I've watched her make CFS on other shows and she made white gravy.

I'd never heard of brown gravy with CFS before and to be honest it looked pretty darn good.

Roy! Your's looks pretty darn good too.

Please make sure to share the recipe for the "No-Knead" Bread! Great job on everything!

Been having a hankering for some good, ole Southern fried food. Snowing like crazy, maybe time to use the cast iron skillet for a change.

Sorry.... what cut of meat is used for chicken fried steak. Would this be similar to country fried steak?

CFS looks great Roy! A bit of mashed potatoes and some white gravy will be the icing on that cake. Dude, I'm hungry now!
The bread looks good.....can I have resipe? Black on the bottom? Maybe try baking it on a stone. Or, lower the temp. some.

What he said^^^ I use 450* not 500* I have fire bricks in the oven, evens out the heat and use the bottom rack. I also only cook mine 15 min or so after the first 30 min not 20 min.
Did you have a problem with the dough sticking to the towel ? :roll:

Looks great!

I do mine a little differently. I'll cut up some top round, dust with flour, seasoned pepper, and a little salt and go to town with a tenderizer (beat the hell out of it) repeat on the second side. The next step is milk, into flour that's seasoned with a little salt and more seasoned pepper, milk, more flour and into the pan. You have the color I'm looking for in your finished product.

CFS, it's what's for dinner tonight. Thanks!

Jorge do you end up with a thick coating by double dipping ? When I do that the first coating just falls off into the milk and I am back where I started. Any special way to do this?

Keale that CFS is looking good I think I will try it this sunday. Thanks

Jorge do you end up with a thick coating by double dipping ? When I do that the first coating just falls off into the milk and I am back where I started. Any special way to do this?

Keale that CFS is looking good I think I will try it this sunday. Thanks

When I bread for frying, I dredge in flour first, then egg or buttermilk, then back into the flour. It will stick to the meat better that way.

Back