• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vending/catering and the Health Dept

I am not 100% sure If I need a permit from the health department for my catering rig if I am doing corporate or private functions only. I am hoping to only need a business license and insurance.
I don't know if you need one either, but to have a permit would make you look more professional, give you some bragging rights, and you could charge a bit more because you are legit.
I would hire a caterer with credentials way before I would hire "some guy" with a smoker.

JMO

P.S. Take the health class either way!!!

Kevin said:
It may be worth your time and money to take the food safety class. Here's a link to food safety certification information for Ventura county. May not need it, but then again it may help when you try to get insured.
http://www.ventura.org/envhealth/programs/cons_food/foodcert.htm

I am going to take the class, wifey is certified, so I am good also.
However, I need to get it done as well.

bbqjoe said:
I don't know if you need one either, but to have a permit would make you look more professional, give you some bragging rights, and you could charge a bit more because you are legit.
I would hire a caterer with credentials way before I would hire "some guy" with a smoker.

JMO

P.S. Take the health class either way!!!

I agree, looks like I might be buying a food prep sink as well, damn more money! Well the saying is true "it takes money to make money."

bbqjoe said:
Somewhat of a gray area here. I believe I read somewhere it is okay to wash vegetables in the 3 compartment sink. (Don't quote me on that)
But if you were trying for a health dept permit, I would put in a separate "Prep" sink, as well as a handwashing sink.
i am in the prosses of building a store right now and to comply with Suffolk county board of health i need mind you this is only 1000sq feet
a 3 bay sink for pots and pans
a prep sink for any vegie i need cut or salad i will be doing
i need a hand sink evey 12-15 feet throughout the store. (i need have 3 hand sinks in this store)

The health dept. here allows the third comp. to be used as a prep sink only if the drain is seperate and indirect to a floor sink w/ a air gap.

Great discussion guys. I'm learning a lot. Better to know these things up front than to have to try to catch up later.

I just got off the phone with our Health Department and here is what I understand:

1. If I am going to be doing food that is delivered, I need a commisary or my catering rig approved by a plan checker prior to competion of the rig. They want a chance to pre-approve my specs. Health permit is needed.

2. If I am going to be doing on-site food preparation for private functions I do not need a Health Permit.

No matter which route I go, I will still want to have a sanitation certifcate, million dollars of liability insurance and business license for the appropriate city I am working in.

Jeff, I have gone through this vicious circle for about 4 years now. If you are preparing food on site, and not delivering, you do not need any insurance or catering license. I have a Blue Springs Business license (just in case) and a $1,000,000 umbrella policy that covers me for whatever some dumbass wants to sue me for. The umbrella is fairly inexpensive when grouped with home and 3 autos, roughly $20 per month. As I have told my wife on numerous occasions, absolutely noone has EVER gotten sick eating my food, (she made me get the umbrella anyway)!

this is why i have became LLC if some dum ass wants to sue me the only thing that he can get is the business of beam boys bbq witch is the money in the business bank account and my bbq trailer that is it my house cars and boat are not part of the business

and i also have an insurance policy for 27 dollers an year on the trailer and contents

with this policy and the helth dept i can only cater 12 times an year that is more than i want to do anyway

york

We just did an onsite vend and competition last weekend in North Carolina. The requirements were pretty basic; hand washing station, triple sinks for washing pots and pans, bleach spray bottles, warmers and coolers and just a general knowlege of food saftey was required (food thermometers also). All food had to be prepared onsite or in a restaurant as well. The event went very smooth without much trouble. Most of my experiences have gone well as long as you have a good understanding of food safety and make sure you have the proper permits. We just happened to win the Grand Championship as well, just a little bonus to go along with good sales.

A) Congratulations!!!

B) Some Questions:

- What did you vend, in what quantity?
- Do you know how many customers you had?
- Can you estinmate the labor, dedicated or part time, required to handle patrons?
- what did you use to mee tthe hand wash station?

We just did an onsite vend and competition last weekend in North Carolina. The requirements were pretty basic; hand washing station, triple sinks for washing pots and pans, bleach spray bottles, warmers and coolers and just a general knowlege of food saftey was required (food thermometers also). All food had to be prepared onsite or in a restaurant as well. The event went very smooth without much trouble. Most of my experiences have gone well as long as you have a good understanding of food safety and make sure you have the proper permits. We just happened to win the Grand Championship as well, just a little bonus to go along with good sales.

WA requires a reviewable plan that lists your fixed facility for food prep, which can not be your home kitchen. There are several "commercial kitchens" for vendors where you can pay an hourly rate or monthly dues in the area.

WA requires a reviewable plan that lists your fixed facility for food prep, which can not be your home kitchen. There are several "commercial kitchens" for vendors where you can pay an hourly rate or monthly dues in the area.

Speaking of which...did you fax yours in for this weekend? :p

Yes sir, sent it in Friday. You and Brian gets yours sent in? That was kinda nuts that you have to do it regardless of vending.

Back