Mustard, Oil or Nothing and WHY?

Bodybag

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've debated my team partner on this a few times. He's a oil guy and I'm a mustard guy. He makes some good points regarding using oil as a base for rub, and I have my opinions on mustard, but what do you all think, and more importantly WHY?

I don't see much difference whether I use a binder or not.

When I first started Q’ing I used mustard – not for any other reason but to give me a visual aid when applying rub. A few years ago I changed to peanut oil after I watched Johnny Trigg use it on his ribs. I really could not tell any real difference between the two but since we always keep oil in our cook box I use a little since it is there. I do notice the times when I don’t use a binder my cutting board has a lot more rub left on it than when I do use a binder.
I have always known that there was a mustard / oil debate but for the life of me I can’t understand why.

I'm not a believer, but I have read or seen a number of people stating that the vinegar in the mustard helps tenderize the meat. Not sure of the validity to this claim...

the spices in seasonings are soluble in oil but not water. thus, they break down and release more flavor. after cooking for many hours though, not sure if it makes a diff. vinegar is an acid and 'cooks" the meat slightly, like a ceviche, again not sure if it makes a diff.

with that said, i use peanut oil on ribs(i can taste that nutty flavor and like it), and a mustard based slather on pork called hit me fred by pitmaster t, no wait, the resurected barbefunkoramaque.

Mustard

I'm going to try mustard on my first brisket this weekend.:-o

Back