New York Deli Roast Beef

JeffW

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How can I cook a roast beef that tastes like those often found in deli's in New York. I have not found any decent roast beef samis in Texas. What is the difference between what I find up north and what I am finding down here?

Most of the roast beef in everyday sandwich shop deli's are Boars Head Brand Roast Beef.

Basically it's a seasoned top round.

http://www.boarshead.com/history.html

Interestingly enough, I know a guy who has a big tattoo of the boars head logo on his arm just because he liked the look of the boar.

Last edited:
FWIW, I used to work at the NY deli in Boulder CO.
I believe they tried to be as authentic as possible. I'm not sure but I think they were from NY.
What we did was simply season a big top round roast with garlic and pepper, rub very heavily with yellow mustard and bake in an oven to medium or so.

I tried smoking a bottom round. It tasted good, but I think it was too tough. There just wasn't enough fat in that cut to work with. We cut it thin against the grain and it was good in sammies.

Would a top round have worked better?

FWIW, I used to work at the NY deli in Boulder CO.
I believe they tried to be as authentic as possible. I'm not sure but I think they were from NY.
What we did was simply season a big top round roast with garlic and pepper, rub very heavily with yellow mustard and bake in an oven to medium or so.
It ain't no New Yawk deli roast beef if you're cook'n it to medium :shock:

RareRoastBeef.jpg

Last edited:
I've done a couple of beef roasts lately that came out great. I seasoned them with Montreal Steak Seasoning and cooked them at 225-ish until they were 125 internal. Then I foiled and coolered them for at least two hours. Then i cooled them and sliced them thinly once they were cool. They made fantastic sammies!

IMGP0482.jpg

IMGP0488.jpg

Most of the roast beef in everyday sandwich shop deli's are Boars Head Brand Roast Beef.

Yup. I grew up on Long Island, and the Boar's Head was my standard. There's other purveyors, but I like the flavor of Boar's Head the best. I think the seasoning is heavy on the celery seed, if you're shooting for that flavor profile in your homemade version.

my buddy who's owned a deli here for 20 years or so does 'em like this; salt, pepper & garlic powder, onion powder & paprika... 20# roast into a 375* over for about 2 hrs.. very important, slice it thin!!!!

Very nice Ron. Looks good.
What cut of meat was that? I am guessing rump roast.

Looks like Brother Ron has one of those fancy dancy meat slicers. Nice looking grub.

Looks like Brother Ron has one of those fancy dancy meat slicers. Nice looking grub.

Yep :-D I won a Cabelas' gift certificate a couple of years ago and that's what I bought. It works well but is a pain to clean up.

Yep :-D I won a Cabelas' gift certificate a couple of years ago and that's what I bought. It works well but is a pain to clean up.

Yep, that is why I never break mine out unless I have a bunch of stuff to cook. Of course shortly, I will be cleaning one or two of them on a daily basis. Actually every two hours I believe is what we are supposed to do.

Man Ron that looks good I'm go to have to try it soon. I have one of those slicers to they do work good and are hard to clean.

my buddy who's owned a deli here for 20 years or so does 'em like this; salt, pepper & garlic powder, onion powder & paprika... 20# roast into a 375* over for about 2 hrs.. very important, slice it thin!!!!

that is also how most BBQ restaurants cook there briskets in new york:-D

Damn Ron...I'll take a sammie on a hard roll with horseradish sauce please...Drooling mod :biggrin:

Darn that looks good. Now that is what I am talking about. I'll take mine on rye with a l;little mayo. To go of course.

Back