• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wood ID Help

HOPTOAD

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
1362337838_zpsf20d75b7.jpg

Little help please? I know one is hickory. Not 100% on the other.

Thanks

Which one do you think is hickory? I'd say the small one is a hickory limb. The other one looks like it could be oak or wild cherry. Kind of hard to tell without seeing the grain.

Just took a look at our ash and the bark looks the same.
Why does that sound weird?

I thought the top one was hickory.. Shows you how much I know:confused:

Ill get a pic up of the grain shortly. Thanks for the help.

I say the hickory is on the right. I have some and it looks exactly like that. does look like oak too but since you said one is hickory thats my bet

the one on the left, could be a young maple? I dunno...

Both look like hickory to me. A limb or very upper trunk piece on the left and lower trunk on the right. I think the correct name is Pignut. Definitely not Shagbark.

Left/lower could be a smaller hickory or (not good) poplar, but the larger piece looks like a mature pignut hickory.

Char It a little with a torch. The smell should be a dead give away if your familiar with wood smells.

Both hickory.

Which one do you think is hickory? I'd say the small one is a hickory limb. The other one looks like it could be oak or wild cherry. Kind of hard to tell without seeing the grain.

Small one is a limb. Larger one is a hickory split. Pig nut hickory. Doesnt look like shag bark. But both hickory!

Sorry...just saw you post?

Both look like hickory to me. A limb or very upper trunk piece on the left and lower trunk on the right. I think the correct name is Pignut. Definitely not Shagbark.

Didnt mean to repeat?:oops:

1362357580_zpsa488a804.jpg

Pic of the grain..

For some reason when I look at the first pic the logs are above one another. I thought the bigger one was hickory originally.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Now with that lateral view, i gotta change my guess to both are hickory.

Back