Cluck off!! Backyard show down

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
They had whole chickens on sale today for 2 for the price of one. So, got two of them for $8.60. Not bad.

Brined them for about 4 hours then rubbed one with Plowboys bovine bold and the other with Smokin' Guns hot.

Put one on the Large egg at 300 with cherry smoke and Wicked Good Lump and the other on the Hasty-Bake at 350 (preferred temp for the HB)with Kingsford Blue. Here they are cooking.

The egg
Eggcooking.jpg

The Hasty-Bake
hbcooking.jpg

Very interesting that the Egg chicken was done about 10 minutes before the HB despite being 50 degrees below the HB's grate temp. I am sure it is the dome and the insulation...

Here are the final products. They were both really good. Moist and juicy with some nice skin. The Egg, however gave a really nice subtle smoky flavor lacking in the HB despite putting a couple little pieces of cherry in the KB.

Hasty-Bake
HBfinished.jpg

BGE
Eggfinished.jpg

They were both really good and hard for me to declare a victor... however, the subtle smoke flavor delivered on the egg won it for me!! Egg wins!!

Very similar cook as what I did yesterday.

I have to get my hands on some Plowboy's rubs....soon. My local spot is out.

I did a comparison cook recently, too. I did indirect on my offset & my kamado.

Kamado bird was ready sooner and evenly cooked with no effort. Offset required me to reposition once to even out the thigh temps.....and spritz with apple juice.

The kamado "zero effort" bird exploded with juices from the breast.

Do you think the difference was the cookers or the fuel? I'm wondering if the WG got more smoke flavor going even though you used chunks with the KB. I haven't seen a Hasty Bake in action, but I'm guessing the egg is a more sealed environment so maybe it could be the cooker. :noidea:

At any rate, they both look absolutely hittable! :hungry:

Looking good, Marty! Love cooking on any kamado style cooker. I made one yesterday, too, and used the PB Yardbird. It was moist, and delicious. Harvard went nuts for it. Good eating, for sure! :thumb:

Slept all day (after working a weekend of nite shifts) and now i know what i want for dinner. Great lookin' yardbirds there, Marty!

Back