Outdoor Pizza Oven (gas grill)

K

kcquer

Did pizza tonight for game food (game sucked, pizza was great). I've done pizza's directly on the gasser before by precooking the crust a bit and removing it, flipping it over, putting on the toppings......y'all know the drill.

Tonight I wanted to replicate my oven technique so I put 4 8" x 8" quarry tiles on the grill, with a 15" stone on top. Lit the center burner on low and let it all warm up for 30 mins. About 20 mins before I was ready to cook, I cranked all 3 burners on high and let it all get real hot, 800* according to the grill therm (I have no clue as to the accuracy of this). But it was over 500* I'm sure of that.

Used the parchment paper peel mod to get the pies on to the stone. The pies each cooked in 4 1/2 mins. Got great browning on the top, great crunch to the crust. Worked like a farkin' dream. Great oven spring, the crust rim puffed up like a balloon!

Got the camera out as we were cutting the pizza's and the batteries were dead:x sorry there's no pics. There aren't many leftovers either.

Samichlaus said:
Sounds great! I need to figure pizza out. Not much beats a good pie. What toppings are you using?

Had to enroll the Grandson in school tonight, get student ID, order yearbooks etc. So I went easy and simple, Canadian Bacon on one and pepperoni on the other.

I'm usually a Italian sausage, mushroom, onion, green pepper black olive kind of guy.

Best pies don't have too much total toppings and don't have the huge monolithic glob of mozzeralla on top either.

I like a blend of mozz, jack and cheddar, which I think is what Little Ceasar's uses. I like the cheddar because it browns up nice.

Cooked on a real hot stone as described above, I only precook the sausage, and use a fairly thin sauce as it really cooks a lot thru the crust.

i lost my stone.. :mad: or should I say, they wife "put it somewhere".

I've been using the vegetable griddle for the grill and getting good results. Made a couple beofre going on vacation using all ingriedents form the garden... damn those things were good. and now Im hungry.

and sorry KC.. you are incorrect :wink: .. GOBS of Mozerella make it complete!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap usually hiding the crumbled fatty underneath it.

I usually take the pie during the last minute and put it on the top rack in a very hot grill as high as i can get it.. and close the lid.. the radiant heat bouncing off the top bubbles and browns the cheese and its far enuf away not to burn the crust. I'll do this even if i did the cooking in the smoker.... and if Im lazy, i'll do a quick shot under the broiler.

I prefer no stone... do the crust on the grill, then take off, put on toppings, and finish on the smoker. I like to use a variety of toppings from traditional sauce and pepperoni to balsamic vinegar reduction and smoked duck.

Phil, I may have to try that last minute on the grill part... or use a MAPP torch to brown it all! Then I get to play with fire even more!

Oh, and kcquer... sounds like all lies to me... no pics, it's all just made up... no batteries, yeah right! :razz:

kcquer said:
I like a blend of mozz, jack and cheddar, which I think is what Little Ceasar's uses. .

When I worked at a Little Caesars 17 years ago, they used a blend of Mozzerella and Muenster. That was, though, 17 years ago and in Oklahoma. YMMV.

The couple if times I've grilled pizza it's been a pretty quick affair, so I didn't want a lot of toppings to bog things down. I worry about the crust getting soggy, too, so I like to skip the sauce and just use some Roma tomatoes that I've salted for a while. An olive oil and garlic glaze with tomatoes, artichoke hearts,mushrooms, and mozzarella is pretty dang good. There's a local pie hole that does one with those toppings; they call it "Pizza of the Gods"

"i lost my stone.. or should I say, they wife "put it somewhere". "

Phils got no stones....

Pass it on.

kcquer said:
Got the camera out as we were cutting the pizza's and the batteries were dead:x sorry there's no pics. There aren't many leftovers either.

Your penance for not posting pictures is....

Do it all over again! With fresh batteries this time! :-D

I have not tried pizza in the smoker or on the grill yet. It's on my list of things to try.

VitaminQ said:
When I worked at a Little Caesars 17 years ago, they used a blend of Mozzerella and Muenster. That was, though, 17 years ago and in Oklahoma. YMMV.

The couple if times I've grilled pizza it's been a pretty quick affair, so I didn't want a lot of toppings to bog things down. I worry about the crust getting soggy, too, so I like to skip the sauce and just use some Roma tomatoes that I've salted for a while. An olive oil and garlic glaze with tomatoes, artichoke hearts,mushrooms, and mozzarella is pretty dang good. There's a local pie hole that does one with those toppings; they call it "Pizza of the Gods"

heres how I avoid the soggy crust..

Get pit up to 500.

I put the dough on the veggie/fish grill thingy(a porcelan grate with the holes in it, i'll take a pic).. grate is sprayed with pam and top of the tough is brushed lightly with olive oil. Reminder: During cooking, you MAY have to slightly and gently rotate the dough to reposition new spots over the holes to cook more evenly. Dont stretch the dough while its cooking! I do this with a small cookie sheet, slide it under, move half an inch and slide it out. I cook the dough just to the point where the bottom seems to have set, and is a little crusty, I brush the top with som eolive oil and flip it over, then brush the old bottom, now top with some sauce and continue to cook it until its near done..

Then i add hot(ok, very warm) sauce and toppings, and a thin layer of cheese.. Once the crust is done to my liking i add the rest of the cheese and move it to the top top top of the hot gasser grill, very top rack. Use a cookie sheet or piece of aluminum foil directly under the pie(on the grates) to offset any heat, OR, in my case since my warming rack is about halfway up the dome on my gasser, i put a baking pan upside down on that and put the pizza on top of the pan.. it raises the pie a few inches bringing it higher up in the lid and gets the radiant heat bouncing off the lid to melt and brown the cheese real fast with minimum effect on the bottom of the crust.

think this is another roadmap thread!!

Brilliant, Phil! I'm gonna have to get one of those grill plates- I know what you're talking about.

BTW, last time I made pizza I turned my back for a minute and the farking dog got an entire, raw dough round off the table. Farking raw dough- and he thought it was Christmas.

i made an edit.. you may have to rotate the dough slightly. re-read first post.

Heres a pic anyway... this works well for medium size pies.. and fits in the gasser.. I usually have to make one pie, and eat that while the other is cookin. :)

Attachments

• P8180864.JPG
    P8180864.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 278
I gotta try Pizza. Are you all buying ready made dough or making your own?

wow.. we have 2 pizza thread.. i just roadmapped this one.. may have doubled up..

I buy my dough from a local pizza joint. Get the one for the extra large pie and cut in in half to make 2 mediums. 2 bucks ready to go.. raised and warm. Get home, cut it, spin it out and on the grill it goes.

sorry.. i cheat. : )

I'm with you Phil. Wish I had the time to make my own dough. I'll buy it

Ron_L said:
Your penance for not posting pictures is....

Do it all over again! With fresh batteries this time! :-D

I have not tried pizza in the smoker or on the grill yet. It's on my list of things to try.

No, no, please don't throw me in da briar patch:wink:

I'm gonna warm some of the few leftovers up for lunch, I'll take a pic or two of that and the grill set up.

Back