Cooking with Chris Lilly and DrBBQ

J

jminion

Chris and DrBBQ gave a cooking class on Sat, I ran the Klose and listened closely.
During the competition watched Chris cook shoulders and ribs, Doc brisket was great, have new ideas there.

I have not had any sleep since Thrusday, I have to sleep.
I will give the information Monday.

Did I say we took Grand? Royal for sure and 50/50 shot at the Jack.

Congratulations Jim. Looking forward to seeing your new ideas on the brisket. When is the American Royal?

Please keep us abreast (he said breast) on the latest developements so we all can learn a little from your experiences.

awsome Jim.
congradulations and good luck in
the next one!!!
Mikeg

Congrats to you Jim.. Making it to grand... Gonna try to ride that shirt tail.. hope ya dont mind a few footprints. :)

congrats again.!

Use guys are getting out of me league. Great Job.

Well after some sleep life seems better.
I will be at the American Royal on Oct 1 and 2nd and as I said have a 50/50 shot at going to the Jack.

Cooking with Chris Lilly has been a real eye opener, taking pork cooking to new level. Chris is a perfectionist and a pleasure to watch work. I have some of the injection and mop he uses so I will be attempting to reproduce it, I know the basics of them. Cooking on Klose using logs was going to put more smoke on the meat than Chris wanted so he covered the meat with cheese cloth soaked in his pork mop (a vinegar based mop) to protect the meat but still allowing the meat to cook without foiling it. He cooked whole shoulder because cooking pieces that size helpes keep the whole piece moist.
The weather was a big factor at 3am we had a rain storm came through dumping 2 1/2" in a 1/2 hour. It sucked the heat out of the pit and it cook cold for the rest of the cook. There are ways of making the best of a bad situation and I now have more ideas on saving a turn-in.
Chris is an artist when comes to putting together a turn-in box, a crowd watched him putting together the pork turn in, when he finished the crowd clapped and cheered. I have never seen anything like it.

DrBBQ is injecting brisket with a product called Fab B you can get from The Ingredient Store, I have 5 pounds headed my way. It keeps the moisture level up and increases the beef flavor a bunch. He injects every couple of inches and then applies a heavy covering of rub., it is cooked fat side down and doesn't apply any rub on that side. He cooks to 190º internal and then foils and holds in a dry cooler for a minimum of 2 hours likes 4 better.
I will go over more as I process it all.
Phil would be great to have you there.

Back