• Yet Another 85 Lb Batch of Hams (Very Pr0nographic)

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey Everyone... So a couple clients have been asking for more hams so I got enough orders together and bought a nice case of shoulders to cure up and sell. I cured the 2 legs off the 60 lb. pig I butchered the other day... I think they came out great. Smoked them up last night and delivered them today. Here's how it all went down.

Got the case of shoulders... about 70 lbs worth. I cleaned them up, de-boned them and injected for about a 2 week sleep in my brine/cure:
b0c1ab97.jpg

062ca64a.jpg

fd653bd7.jpg

Injected
fb11b437.jpg

...and the legs from the 60lb roaster. These are gonna be sooo tender!
383af144.jpg

ea0a2cb9.jpg

Bagged them up with the brine and off to the fridge they went...
ee66ff9e.jpg

Came out looking like this after just under 2 weeks.
3e6c96cd.jpg

Gave them an ice bath for a couple hours while I tied them up for the smoker:
779b4c74.jpg

12fd3fc6.jpg

Bin 1
fbcaf571.jpg

Bin 2
85d6d12e.jpg

I put them back in the fridge for a day then it was onto the smoker with lychee wood @ 250˚
2b3cb4f7.jpg

02818a36.jpg

When they hit about 130 I took them off to glaze. I Use mustard and a spiced sugar. It forms a great hard shell around the ham!
576ebf2a.jpg

7a77bda6.jpg

487724aa.jpg

And back on the smoker till 155 ish... :thumb:
a071dd2d.jpg

And they're off! The SMELL!!! It was killing me.
aef61473.jpg

7fad6f30.jpg

And here they are all wrapped up for delivery!
08a78691.jpg

It IS really true... Once you nail this down.. it's like bacon. You realize that the commercial stuff can NEVER come close to the "home made" hams that you can really put some "quality" into! :thumb::thumb:

BTW I decided I was keeping one of the legs for myself. The last 3 batches I've made I have been unable to keep any... NOT this time! :heh::heh::heh:

Thanks for looking...
Cheers

Thanks a lot guys! :thumb:

Just cut into the one I'm slicing up to sell... very happy with how it looks. This was a 13lb shoulder.

5562324a.jpg

:thumb:

Cheers

It ain't right man, how good those look. If you gave up the goods on the brine and rub before somebody please show me where, if not, I will pay good money to find out.

That's an awesome job Phrasty!

Thanks guys!

It ain't right man, how good those look. If you gave up the goods on the brine and rub before somebody please show me where, if not, I will pay good money to find out.

Here's a thread with some info on it... Should get you started... :thumb:

Looks awesome, I want one right now for breakfast. Do you always do the ice bath? Is that just pull some of the brine out?

Yeah I usually do. I like to cure for an extra day or 2 just to make sure they're cured with through... I give them a soak cuz of this. Just to take some of the salt out of the exterior.

Cheers.

Back