Q-Review

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Iwas on the way home from work and saw a BBQ joint that I had never been to so I stopped. The name of the place is Benny's BBQ. It was right across the street from a firewood lot and I could smell smoke. Went in side and the had an old brick pit and only 3 tables (one of them wobbly). I was ready for a BBQ experience.

Psyche.

I ordered the lunch special which was a sandwich ( your choice of beef, pork, turkey, chicken, or pork hot links) and two sides. I chose a pork sandwich with collard green an coleslaw. I asked if the pork was pulled and the lady behind the counter and the cook looked at me like I was speaking another language. Not a good sign but I was trying not to be judgemental.

The service was fast and I had gotten my sandwich to go. Figured I'd eat on the way home. I took a bite of the sandwich and...hmmm...how can I describe it?

Nothing.

I got nothing.

This had to be the most bland pork sandwich I have ever had in my life. The meat was tender (probably because it was sliced so thin) and swimming in sauce. The sauce was neither sweet nor spicy nor vinegary. I think the best thing you could say about it was that it was wet. I wiped off a piece of the pork and saw no evidence of a smoke ring whatsoever. I think the tastiest part of the sandwich was the hamburger bun.

The greens had a good flavor and texture but I got more stems than leaves. Some of the stems were big enough to be broccoli.

The coleslaw was just cabbage mayo and vinegar. Nothing else.

It was a sad meal and you don't have to worry about me going there again.

Sorry to hear it, but they probably won't be in business for long. Also, I didn't know you left coast folks knew about collards!! Maybe you should open a bbq joint. Around the corner from where I work, and old black gentleman has a little stand in the parking lot of a Shell station. The stand consists of a pit made from an old hot water heater, a burner from a turkey fryer (for his sauce, which is not for sale), an old folding table, and an open sided tent canope. Although he is open only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, he always has a line!! He only sells pulled pork, with or without the bun. Although his sauce varies from week to week, it tastes kinda like spicy Bullseye, and the pork is always good. If you want something to drink, you go inside the gas station. Mista, I bet you could make a killing out their in Cali!!
Noah

If I could get away with it out here, I just might try it. Maybe I'll ask the Mexican guys with the Taco stands how they get do it.

Mista, just to make sure I don't happen by that place, where is it? Gonna be moving next weekend and know I will not feel like cooking if I get done in time. There is a BBQ place not far, that I have my eye on, figure that will be dinner on night 1.

It's on Lincoln just south of Washington. Where are you moving to and what's the name of the place in that area?

That's too bad, Mista. Been there, bro. You're mouth is set for the discovery of a best kept secret and...bleh.

At least you didn't get food poisoning, eh?

I am moving to N. Long Beach. just a hole in the wall looking place, I have seen while taking my son to school. I will try and find out the name.

Funny how some folks go into the reasturant business without a clew. I guess their family members who are too lazy to cook for themselves and don't know the difference keep telling them that its great and that they should open a reasturant. Some folks just like tasteless food. It abounds out here in the Pacific Northwest. Even the Mexican reasturants are bland. We had a BBQ joint open up out here a few years back. It was run by two very big black gentelmen. Looked like they may have played pro football at one time. I was all set for the experience of a life time. Everything looked and smelled delicious. My order came and it was so small I could barely see it. There was a small dollop of beans a little pile of cole slaw, a few pieces of slice beef and a piece of toasted white bread. I had no criticisim of the food itself but when I was done eating I felt like I had had the sampler plate. If it had been a couple of little old ladied I could have understood but these guys new what a portion of food was. The search continues.

Hoo

Mista,

Sounds like Pecos Bill's in Glendale. Stay away from this place unless you are in the mood to eat pork or beef smothered in mucous.

The OL and I went there one day before the move, our experience was muchj like yours. Ordered a pork sandwich and a beef sandwichm the only oprions on the menu, a side of beans and a side of coleslaw. Decided to take it home since the place had only a couple of tables on the sidewalk and all were full. We both took a huge bute thinking we were in for a treat. We both made a beeline for the trash can. two mouthfulls followed by the sandwichs.

How these places stay in business is beyond me.

Oh yeah this place has a sign up that says "since 1934".

Back