• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips for new contest

ov1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am the organizer for the Jasper Strassenfest cookoff and am seeking some input. We have $5000 payout and I am wandering how you as competitors would like to see it divided.

Thanks,

Ottie

Something like:

GC = $1250
RGC - $750

1st - $250
2nd - $150
3rd - 100
4th - 75
5th - 50
6-10th places - $25

I lived in Jasper, Indiana for about a month when I was in kindergarten back in about 1970. You should just send it all to me and save yourself all the work! :twisted::wink: Seriously, what Bob says looks about right.

I'd pay 5 places and put the $150 back into 1st for the category and make it $400 or $350 and bump 2nd to $200.

And ribbons to 10 places of course.

We are thinking about going to this contest and i agree 100% with Ford.

It depends on how many teams you have. If you expect to have 10 - 15 teams then I'm with Ford, you don't need to pay down to 10 places. But if you expect 30 or 40 teams, then you should pay down to 10 to spread it around to as many teams as possible (since the top teams inevitably tend to be repeating in categories) in order to encourage as many teams as possible to return.

Also, like others said, it depends on your number of categories. But since you are a first year comp, sticking with the 4 basic categories isn't a bad idea. Then next year branch out as a nice way to expand the competition.

Some things that are nice additions for the cooks:
Simple gift bag.
Coffee/Donuts on Saturday morning, or have a local kids/teens group do a breakfast where for like $5 they deliver a nice hot breakfast (eggs, biscuits, gravy, sausage, pancakes) and all the money goes to their activity group.

Does KCBS santioning make it mandatory to pay the top X finishers per catagory? If so, is it 5 or 10?

Pay to the top 5 in a category... That's KCBS standards for a comp...

I'd pay to the top 5 in a category and I would also pay to the top 5 overall. While getting $50 doesn't sound like a lot. When you are filling that gas tank, it is appreciated...

Does KCBS santioning make it mandatory to pay the top X finishers per catagory? If so, is it 5 or 10?

They do but i was at a contest last year that paid only the top 3.
Not that it mattered for me :wink:

just don't forget about the one's that make 6 - 10. Not necessarily money, but ribbons, certificates, etc., can still go a long way with teams.

Paying top 5 overall is the right thing to do. Or, at least a call with a trophy.

I lived in Jasper, Indiana for about a month when I was in kindergarten back in about 1970. You should just send it all to me and save yourself all the work! :twisted::wink: Seriously, what Bob says looks about right.
Jeff.... sounds like a great time to pay a visit to Jasper again
icon7.gif

Thanks to everybody for your input, it will help alot.

Ottie

Back