New Big Joe

BABYGOTBUTT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just got a new Big Joe (Kamado Joe). Giving it it's inaugural run this morning on a Walmart special brisket. It is about 25 here in Maryland and blowing it's behind off. I thought this would be a good time to see how it does in the wind. Set the Guru to 250. It overshot by about 40 degrees. Closed down the top and am waiting for it to come down. Good seal all the way around. Guess its just a learning curve I will have to navigate. I have a BGE XL and a G2 Backwoods Chubby. Welcome to the family Big Joe

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 148
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 147
  • unnamed[1].jpg
    unnamed[1].jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 147
Congrats on the grill!

I've heard they run pretty steady with out any ATC but since you're using one try setting the temp lower than your target.

Congrats on the new grill. You could also close the damper on the fan a little. :suspicious:

I normally have the fan damper set about half way and I don't have a ceramic cooker with its nice insulating properties. You might try the fan open more until it gets up to like 200, then shut down on the fan damper to half way or less so it can zero in better. Supposedly they have some fancy math logarithms built in where the digi q gets smarter the more it runs on the pit, but who knows if that is really the case, heh.

Congrats!!! KJs are nice. On my kamado I have the fan damper at 1/3 open. Also, I manually bring up the temps to my target temp, plug in the fan last. Never overshoots this way.

Curious why the Big Joe when you already have the XL BGE?

Back