help! cooking a chuckie, a chicken and a tenderloin

floydo

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
cooking a chuckie, a chicken and a tenderloin this afternoon. just starting the brine for the bird. marinated the tenderloin overnight in a bourbon honey sage marinade ( hat tip to Backyard BBQ ). WSM ( 22.5)
first chuckie.......inspired by some recent posts that had the mouth watering.
hoping to cook them all in my WSM this afternoon, but worried about
temperatures, times and chicken drippings everywhere. figure the chicken ends up finishing last on the top shelf............at about 300.
but how to get there without ruining the other stuff is a bit of a puzzle for me.

the chuck roast is about 3 and a half pounds.
i'll probably spatchcock the bird.
tenderloin is pretty narrow. Guessing it wants temp lower than 300.

I'll post a picture.

I'm thinking the answer may lie in getting the chuckie into a pan and foiled
before the chicken goes on. Maybe getting the tenderloin AND the chuckie out of there before the chicken goes on . Not sure.

Not sure whether to foil the tenderloin at some point also.

I'd appreciate some help with the plan. And any other tips you might share. Thanks.

IMG_2132copy.jpg

Last edited:
I'd put the chuckie on first by itself for a few hours, when you take it out to pan it, put the spatched chicken and loin on the lower shelf and the panned chuckie on the top shelf. You should have plenty of room on the lower grate for the chicken and the loin.

Granted you'll have to pull the chuckie off to get to the chicken but that's what I would do.

Good luck, post pictures. :thumb:

Oh...I wouldn't foil the tenderloin either. Just cook it until it's 140* internal or 130-135* and sear it on a kettle or the gasser until it hits 140*, let it rest 10 minutes and slice it up.

^^Yep!^^

You may want to consider wrapping the loin in.... BACON!!:clap2:

Good luck, have fun, and post pics!:mrgreen:

Pork Tender Loin is not a meat I would choose to smoke it is better suited to a hot Grill and cooked to 130.
Let me get this straight you marinated the clucker & now your gonna Brine it :confused::twitch:
put the chuck on the bottom rack after 4 hrs pan it with a 1/2 a beer and some sliced onions and cover it with foil, then put the clucker on the top rack skin side down along with the loin. Do the whole cook at 300

In my mind I see the timing like this.....The chuckie will take the longest (several hours), no doubt, the chicken will finish next in the 1-2 hour range, and the Pork loin will finish the fastest (cook it as Fingerlickin' suggested), should take less than an hour I think.

If it were me, I would move the chuckie to the oven to finish once it is foiled, and then I would get the cook temp up to 325-350 for the chicken (I like cooking my chicken at hotter temps for great crispy skin), and then a little before my chicken was done, I'd get the pork loin going as described by Fingerlickin'.
I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to do your cook, just givin' my 2 cents.

In any case, let us know how it all turns out, sounds like a wonderful feast is gonna be had!

KC

great ideas

thanks so much, brothers

they will be put to good use

cruisin at 275 now........a couple hours in.

bludawg......I marinated the loin and brined the chicken !

I did a chuck roast one time and it was pretty tough to be honest. Dont worry if that happens though! Cube it up and make your favorite veggie/beef stew! I promise you will be impressed.
In fact when I first was learning to do briskets that is what I would do when one didnt turn out good enough to suit me.
Best of luck!

my count is no balls and 2 strikes on the briskets.
last one was too small of a piece of flat and cooked too hot.
great taste but dry and tough......even though I cooked till 207.
maybe a little foil would have helped.

but i'm optimistic about the chuckie....after getting good advice.

my count is no balls and 2 strikes on the briskets.
last one was too small of a piece of flat and cooked too hot.
great taste but dry and tough......even though I cooked till 207.
maybe a little foil would have helped.

but i'm optimistic about the chuckie....after getting good advice.

You cooked until the internal temp was 207? If so that was why it was tough

Back