Go to BBQ sauce?

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What is your "go to" sauce?

Homemade Recipe? Dressed up name brand? Special order? Straight unaltered store bought? BARGAIN BRAND :twitch:?!?

Me? I go with the store bought! I stick to the Saint Louis staple, Maul's Original most of the time. Straight from the bottle, occasionally adding a splash of my choice of A.B. brand beverage. Maul's is my #1 "go to".

However not being my "go to", I do create a concoction of 50/50 Maul's and Sweet Baby Ray's, doctored up with some secret :)loco:) ingredients. That sauce potion almost always gets mixed up to go on my ribs.

Head country original and head country hot 50/50 delicious:beer:

Sent from my SGH-T999

Super Smokers KC style.

large-62031.jpg

P.S....Blues Hog BBQ,is pretty darn good on ribs.

Still make a hot one but not the sweet one since I found out Sweet Baby Ray's tastes the same.

> What is your "go to" sauce?

Depends on the purpose...

Home/Personal/Family Use:

Hotdogs, Hamburgers -> Head Country Original or Pot Luck*
Brunswick Stew -> Head Country Original
BBQ Pork (whether picnic, butt, whole shoulder, ham, etc.) -> Our competition pork sauce published many times here, or Blues Hog Tennessee Red straight up
BBQ Pork Ribs -> Our competition rib sauce published many times here
BBQ Beef (whether brisket or chuckie) -> Our competition beef sauce [dare I say it] published many times here

When entertaining:

I usually have an assortment of sauces, starting with the 3 competition sauces above, plus I'll usually have some Blues Hog Tennessee Red, and some Blues Hog Original, and some Scotts, and some Maurices' Piggy Park, our Pot Luck*, plus 2 or 3 others like Head's Red or Big Ron's, etc.

*Pot Luck -> this is what I do with leftover BBQ sauce, I mix them all together and they're stored in a gallon jug in the fridge. It's about 1/2 of my competition sauces and the other 1/2 everything else. Frankly it's VERY good and is my daughters favorite.

I use so little bottled sauce it doesn't matter what ever is on sale.

Head Country Original is my family's overall favorite. WalMart has the best price for it around here.

This group here taught me about mixing the Blues Hog Original with Blues Hog TN Red which is my favorite.

I don't buy commercial products,I actually like to know what I'm eating My goto is Shack sauce. But if forced into buying one it is Little Pig.

SHACK Barbeque Sauce
Wet Stuff:
Mix: 3 - 24 ounce plastic bottles of ketchup

Fill these with hot water,
rinse and dump ALL into bowl.
some prefer *Grapette® instead of water.
*Sub Grape koolaide

Pour in plain vinegar.
recipe recommends just less than a quart

Put "wet stuff' in LARGE pan, heat on "high"
should be about to boil when add 'dry stuff'.
Dry Stuff:
1 - 4 ounce can of chili powder
1 - 4 ounce can of black pepper
1 - 4 ounce can of garlic salt (not powder)
1/2 - cup sugar (more or less - to taste)
1 - small Tabasco (1oz to 4oz - to taste)
1 - small yellow mustard (apple size jar)
Stir well
Add dry mix to pan on stove
mix well while bringing to boil
immediately drop heat to 'simmer' = 30 min.

Sonny's sweet, Sweet Baby Ray's, Cattlemen's original...depends on what I'm using it for. Used to keep more bottled stuff around when my sons were home...they used sauce like ketchup...so Sonny's or Rays was always around. I use Cattlemen's a lot for catering.

I don't buy commercial products,I actually like to know what I'm eating My goto is Shack sauce. But if forced into buying one it is Little Pig.

SHACK Barbeque Sauce
Wet Stuff:
Mix: 3 - 24 ounce plastic bottles of ketchup

Fill these with hot water,
rinse and dump ALL into bowl.
some prefer *Grapette® instead of water.
*Sub Grape koolaide

Pour in plain vinegar.
recipe recommends just less than a quart

Put "wet stuff' in LARGE pan, heat on "high"
should be about to boil when add 'dry stuff'.
Dry Stuff:
1 - 4 ounce can of chili powder
1 - 4 ounce can of black pepper
1 - 4 ounce can of garlic salt (not powder)
1/2 - cup sugar (more or less - to taste)
1 - small Tabasco (1oz to 4oz - to taste)
1 - small yellow mustard (apple size jar)
Stir well
Add dry mix to pan on stove
mix well while bringing to boil
immediately drop heat to 'simmer' = 30 min.

I've been using this sauce for a while too. Good stuff.

I make my own KC style sweet sauce, but mainly because I love the way it odorizes the kitchen.

Back